Health

I have stress and I am not healthy. There is nothing I can do to become healthy, why? Because I was born like this. I was born unhealthy and stressed. The transactional model of stress, is the theory that stress results from ongoing transactions between people and their environment (p 183). Based on this theory a person encounters a stressor, then they do an appraisal of the situation and how to manage, then they develop a proper coping strategy, this results in health outcomes. But what haps for one minute a person is born stressed, born fighting, born unhealthy. An infant has no idea any theory or events or experiences that can help it cope or appraise the situation. The body was already preprogramed to attack at the slightest change. Am I still thriving yes. I am functioning and surviving day to day. Promoting health is different for a person like me, a person who has never had a balance of prime health and the environment because everything is a risk, everything is a stressor, when your body is preprogrammed to attack itself. What do you do? You try to find the right balance for yourself, you expect the unexpected can happen at any time and prepare yourself for extremely trying days. You try to manage the best you can because there is no cure. I have spent 34 years trying to manage being born unhealthy and stressed, it is exhausting. After 14 long years of battling severe health issues, including those with my immune system and cancer, I am finally in remission. Therefore, I see myself analyzing the last year of my life to figure out how I did it. How do you find remission when your born stressed and unhealthy?

1 comment

1. I think you are correct in saying that infants have no concept of coping or appraising a situation, but they also don’t need that knowledge. Biologically, memories are not really formed until after a baby turns 3. After that time, any interaction that may take place will start to contribute to the maturity and growth of that baby. Are you saying that you (or the person that you are writing this about) were born only knowing stress despite having an average upbringing? Or were there environmental factors that have contributed to the stress and anxiety you have experienced your whole life?