Odd Girl Out …A Movie

To piggyback off this week’s lesson I have decided to reference a lifetime original movie. Please excuse the late post I was sick, then better, now sick again (thanks kids). With that being said I had a chance to rewatch the movie Odd Girl Out. It’s about a girl who is in with the popular group they are all around 14. Then one day she ends up liking and getting too much attention from the main popular girl’s boyfriend which results in lies, rumors, and online bullying. They tormented and bullied this once “in” girl until she chopped her hair off and became a recluse. Her mother at the time had noticed small changes but nothing major until she stumbled across the online messages and threats her daughter had been receiving. At this point, the daughter had tried to end her life by overdosing on pills. This is a reality that hits close to home. I have an 11-year-old daughter who up until 6 months ago was allowed to have social media. I noticed that she was the one being a bully to her so-called friends. She was forced to apologize and will most likely never get her social media back. We as parents have to adapt to a changing world that now makes it socially acceptable to judge others. The smallest put-downs can make it seem like the entire world is against you. Factor in social media and other external stresses, no wonder so many children suffer from depression. We should focus on building up our children’s self-esteem and communication so that they don’t have to try and put others down. Implementing coping techniques will also help then deal with stressful situations more effectively.