Cyberbullying in School

The internet and technological advances we have seen in the past decades has opened a world of possibilities and opportunities, as well as dangers. As the utilization of social media and the internet increases, cyberbullying has become commonplace. Cyberbullying is indirect bullying that takes place over digital devices by email, text, direct messages, or social media networks like Instagram. 

Why has cyberbullying become so prevalent in today’s society and schools versus traditional bullying? Cyberbullies can hide behind a screen and fake profiles while tormenting, harassing, or threatening another person. In our text it states, “Engaging in cyberbullying, in particular, removes any negative consequences that one might experience when harming someone face-to-face: the bully does not have to contend with observing up close the harm inflicted on the target, thereby taking away any undesirable outcomes or inhibitions (such as feelings of empathy) to aggressive behavior (Bandura, 1983; Kowalski et al., 2014; Lapidot-Lefler & Dolev-Cohen, 2015).” For example, when a person comments something hurtful on someone’s Instagram post, they type it then move on. They can’t see the pain or hurt they have caused the person. They do not see the effects their words and actions have. 

How can schools reduce cyberbullying? From personal experience, I know that reporting cyberbullying to a trusted adult is not an easy task. I did not want to get my classmate in trouble and be labeled a tattle tale or be seen as a “victim”. I let the cyberbullying continue in silence until hopefully he stopped harassing me online which he did eventually. The constant cyberbullying I endured led me to feel lonely in my group of friends, distant from my parents because I couldn’t tell them, and uncomfortable in school. I think if schools implement an anonymous dropbox where students can fill out a complaint with the name of their cyberbully and situation, students could feel more comfortable to report the bullying. It is important that schools crack down on bullying altogether and create a zero tolerance rule while also educating all students on the harm and psychological effects it can cause through educational seminars and videos that allow for discussion. 

Cyberbullying causes emotional and psychological distress and cyber bullied children may experience anxiety, fear, depression, low self-esteem, and may struggle in school (Gordon). Since cyberbullies do not see the negative consequences of their words or actions, they do not feel empathy or remorse. That is why it is necessary for schools to educate students on the effects of cyberbullying and that hiding behind the keyboard does not change or reduce the effects of bullying. Schools are meant for students to learn and feel safe not isolated and fearful. 

– Gruman, J. A., Schneider, F. W., & Coutts, L. M. (2017). Applied social psychology, 3rd Edition: Understanding and addressing social and practical problems. Los Angeles: SAGE.

-Gordon, Sherri. “The Real-Life Effects of Cyberbullying on Children.” Verywell Family, www.verywellfamily.com/what-are-the-effects-of-cyberbullying-460558. 

1 comment

1. You are entirely correct in your statement regarding the significant jump in cyberbullying over the past decade. With ever increasing internet access being given to younger and younger generations, it is no wonder.

Traditionally, male children are more aggressive physically with one another, whereas females are more verbally aggressive to one another. This is also evident in the case of cyberbullying where approximately 60% of online bullying victims are females (Li, 2005).

Children have very limited emotional and developmental capacity for insight into the true consequences of their behavior, especially when placed in a virtual space. As you stated, the perpetrator of cyberattacks can become very removed from the situation as the dynamic is significantly altered through a computer interface. Additionally, as you referenced there are no immediate undesirable outcomes to deter an attacker from doing so again. Thus, why wouldn’t they if there are no repercussions?

One major drawback of our educational system is that they do not address cyberbullying efficiently. I have also experienced cyberbullying in my youth, and know very well that it is not easy trying to get ‘trusted adults’ to intervene. However, I did indeed go forward in reporting the instance to my schools disciplinarian once in high-school. I went into her office in tears and told her how I was being targeted. I felt unsafe and depressed, and I could not focus on my studies because emotionally I was in shambles. Even after finding the courage to tell a complete stranger the emotional turmoil I was going through, she told me there was nothing they could do because it “didn’t happen on school grounds”.

So that brings us to the question of, “When does the school system have an obligation to stand up for students who are victimized?” Is it only when there is physical violence that intervenes in a student being able to maintain their right to a safe learning space, or does it also apply to any other situation in which the integrity of a students academic life is threatened?

Resources
    Li, Q. (2005, December 05). New bottle but old wine: A research of cyberbullying in schools. Retrieved October 31, 2020, from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0747563205000889?via=ihub