The Paradigm Shift in Artificial Intelligence

We are living in a time that will rapidly be changed by Artificial Intelligence(AI). What you need to know about this technology is that it started around 6 decades ago, but it is becoming extremely popular right now, as we finally have the tools to support it. 6 decades ago, the thought of AI was all main theory, people did not think we would be able to develop the plethora of AI that we have today so soon. AI is able to enhance human abilities and it is becoming very popular because of machine learning and even rule-based systems. AI works by combining large amounts of data with fast, iterative processing and intelligent algorithms, allowing the software to learn automatically from patterns or features in the data.

The reason why there is a sudden boost in the AI that we are able to produce is because of the computing power that we finally have our hands-on. Moore’s Law says that the computational power that we will double every year and there is finally enough computational power at a low cost to make AI feasible for everyone. Many people didn’t think that this would ever happen and always assumed that creating AI was just a theory of taking in data to improve programs and algorithms (A Neural Network). But as people can see the effects of AI now in self-driving cars, AI personal assistants, or even robots. People may have thought that after watching movies like Terminator that creating robots that can build and program themselves would lead to the end of the world. But now people can see how useful it is and it will soon be fully integrated into every part of our lives.

Image result for AI examples

4 Responses

1. Owen Feiler says:

I really like your idea of a paradigm shift stemming from AI. I’m really interested in seeing how you turn this idea into the essay and ted talk. It’ll be interesting because we are sort of in the middle of the paradigm shift of AI, so who knows what the outcome will be. Good Job

2. cxp5510 says:

The idea of doing an essay about a paradigm shift that will impact the future but has not technically happened yet, never occurred to me! I think it is a really interesting idea and I look forward to what you have to say. AI is an incredibly nuanced and controversial topic these days, so whatever position you take will be very interesting to hear.

3. gsn6 says:

Adarsh, this is a very interesting topic, especially because of how controversial it can be. There are many positions that can be taken on the advancement of Artificial Intelligence, and I think it’ll be cool for you to investigate all of these different avenues.

4. Rose Spahn says:

I think that this is a really interesting topic, and you could even address how AI has lead to outsourcing of humans, and how a lot of human interaction has changed to become humans interacting with technology. I like how you included self-driving cars because it makes this paradigm shift even more relevant to modern day in how we are living while more of this technology is still developing!