How I Met Your Mother

Living in New York City can be an absolutely amazing place to be especially when you are in your twenties and looking to have a good time with your pals and find the love of your life. That is exactly the story that How I Met Your Mother(HIMYM) tells in its long nine seasons.

How I Met Your Mother (TV Series 2005–2014) - IMDb

In the show, the characters Ted Mosby, Marshall Eriksen, and Lily Aldrin are all based on friends of the shows co-creator and writer Carter Bay. Some of the episodes in the show tell the stories that Bay had in his apartment in New York City with his best friend and his best friend long time girlfriend. I think that since Bay was able to base the show off some parts of his own life, it made the show more believable. Especially since there are many crazy things that can happen while living in the heart of New York City.

The show starts off with a narration by Ted Mosby telling his children way later in the future about how he met their mother, as she had passed away from cancer. Ted starts from the start of his journey in New York City and explains all the adventures and love failures he had before meeting their mother. I would say that it was very weird that Ted explained all of his sexual and illegal experiences to his children because I could never imagine my parents telling me stories as inappropriate. Ted struggles a lot in his love life before finding the children of his mother. One of his problems is that he is a really big romantic and falls in love with most girls that he starts dating, but after a while, they tend to no go his way. One of the worst things that happened to ted in his life is that he is left at the altar by his fiance because she gets back with her ex-husband.

One of the best characters in the show, in my opinion, would be Barney Stinson who was played by Neil Patrick Harris. I think that he was such an amazing character because while in the show, he played a straight man, which many people would consider to be a player, as he went home with a new partner almost every night, Neil was actually a homosexual in real life.

Image result for how i met your mother

I would highly recommend watching this sitcom as it is a good portrayal of how difficult it is to find the love of your life when you’re young. Even though Ted and his gang of friends lived in New York City, a city filled with 8 million people their love lives were very difficult. The show was always very engaging as no two episodes were the same. While hardcore fans may have thought that the show deserved an alternate ending, I think that it was perfect just the way it was written.