Essay Outline

Since these artifacts differ so much in scale, context, and median, I will be using the block method.

Intro: simple background for both of the artifacts.

Thesis: The use of the trust and visual rhetoric lenses within both artifacts’ changes with the context and scale of their situations to better affect their audiences.

Body 1: How the article uses pathos to evoke fear and how it also uses logos to create patterns as evidence to back up their claims.

“In the face of an increasingly conservative federal judiciary, arguments against sex discrimination rooted in the 14th Amendment are under threat, and existing protections are vulnerable to being rolled back” (Bleiweis).

“The Constitution was written by and for white men with means, which reserved its principle of equal justice under law for the sole benefit of the authors and their privileged peers. This meant that women and people of color, among others, were openly regarded as less than full citizens and thus excluded from many legal protections because of their sex, race, and/or ethnicity” (Bleiweis)

Body 2: How the advertisement uses pathos for excitement and determination, as well as how it uses logos to create patterns to back up their claims.

“I believe that we will win.”

“We will be four-time champions and keep winning not only until we become the best female soccer team, but the best soccer team in the world.”

Body 3: Analyze why these choices were made and how it effects the delivery of their message. Possibly go into the visual similarities here as well but I might place them in the respective paragraph bodies if it makes more sense.

Conclusion: Re-state the thesis in a different way and review the overarching themes made by the comparison.

*As I’m doing this, I see the point method as well, we’ll see what I actually end up doing when I start to write the essay.

2 thoughts on “Essay Outline

1. I think the block method is a good choice for your artifacts. I like how you applied the trust lenses to both. I think this is a good fit because of the different mediums that are used. It will be easy for the reader to follow your claims because you are applying the pathos and logos lens to each. I think it may be difficult to use a visual lense since one of your artifacts is an article.

2. I agree that the block method is the best choice to capture the stark differences between your two artifacts. You are an expert with pathos and logos! I don’t think you could have chosen a better lens for these artifacts, and your analysis is very well supported. The only thing that I would say is to be careful of using long quotes in your essay when talking about the article. It is better to sprinkle in shorter quotes that cannot be paraphrased and provide more commentary on the evidence.