The Major Arcana: The Hierophant, The Lovers, and The Chariot

Last week, we went over the High Priestess.

This week, it’s time to introduce you to the male counterpart of the High Priestess, the Hierophant.

The Heirophant Tarot Card Line Embroidered Waffle Weave - Etsy | The ...

Just like the High Priestess, the Hierophant deals with the intersection of the conscious and the unconscious worlds.

What makes the Hierophant different is that he represents institutions or the hierarchy and traditions that can accompany them.

Think of him as being focused on sharing knowledge with an institution.

For this reason, he is often associated with higher learning and leadership. I have also seen him show up with religions as well.

When he shows up in your reading, it often means that you should continue, or start to be a part of some type of structure or system such as school, church, community, or maybe fitness.

Be careful when he appears with the Hermit, your work in an organization might be too isolating.

His reversed indicates that there is a need to question those that are running the show, or to take another look at how you place in an organization.

Is it time to let an organization go, or should you be playing a deeper role within its hierarchy?

Look to the other cards in the spread to tell you how to interpret the card.

Next to the Lovers.

The Lovers | Tarocchi, Arte dell'illustrazione, Carte da gioco

In relationship readings, everyone lovesĀ the Lovers! But don’t get so caught up in the face value of the card that you lose its complexities.

This card represents attraction, connection, and yes, love.

But different types of love depending on the where the card is in the spread and what cards surround it.

They could represent the love of a parent, platonic love, or the influence of soulmates. Often this card indicates marriage, commitment, or fundamental friendships.

Another aspect of this card is that of decisions or change. Choosing the right path for yourself is emphasized by the Lovers.

In order to find the right path, look plainly at your true desires and embrace them.

Which leads to the Lovers reversed.

I once did a reading for a close friend who was in a funk and just not happy with how things were going.

When the Lovers reversed appeared, I was confused because he was not in a relationship and did not plan to be.

Turns out, he was struggling with his sexuality while living in a deeply religious household (the Hierophant was also in the reading).

The Lovers reversed indicates inner conflict or imbalance. A kind of guilt or disharmony with yourself. Just remember, it is human to love.

And loving yourself, easiest thing in the world, right?

In another reading, the Lovers reversed could also indicate a lack of mutual feelings, or people not being on the same page in a relationship.

Is there dishonesty or an interloper messing with your balance?

Now for the Chariot.

The Linestrider Tarot - The Charriot/El Carro Linestrider Tarot, Tarot ...

The Chariot is a card of ambition and self-discipline.

It speaks of struggles that are then overcome through work to achieve victory.

Whenever I look at this card, I picture classic Greek chariot racing in a large amphitheater. The Greek athletes worked through incredible feats of strength but enjoyed tremendous amounts of glory in their victory.

This card encourages passion and intellect to succeed in your trials and is most potent when in the future position.

When in the future position, the Chariot urges you to keep fighting in your struggles and your success will be guaranteed in the future.

That being said, when reversed the Chariot warns of being too focused.

Do you have tunnel vision, or are you sacrificing too much for a short-term victory?

Success might ask you to give up more than is healthy, really assess how far you are willing to go for your ambitions.

The Chariot and the Magician are a dangerous pair but are still full of a lot of potential.

You don’t necessarily have to quit your drive, but just be aware of the price that victory comes with.

2 thoughts on “The Major Arcana: The Hierophant, The Lovers, and The Chariot

1. I like how all of the cards are about balance. For example, when I first read about the chariot card I could only think about positive interpretations. I found it interesting how it could also represent tunnel vision and losing focus on other aspects of life. I think this is a good representation of life and how it is important to keep everything in balance.

2. I find it so interesting how cards like the Lovers are not only influenced by whether the card is face up or reversed, but depends on where it is in the spread and what cards surround it. Each reading is more complex than I ever imagined and incredibly detailed in their meanings. I like the accurate representation that they have of human strengths and weaknesses, for human emotion is so intricate and delicate at the same time.