DUS MinorQuest

dus_

This week I spent as much time as I could on the Division of Undergraduate Studies, MinorQuest website.  It has certainly proven itself, as extraordinarily helpful, informational, and simple when it came to narrowing down all my interests and possible minor options. I literally went through and clicked on each of my interests separately, and then read all of the minor descriptions for the minors that popped out at me.  I was nearing the last of my interest categories, when five possible minor descriptions got me thinking: Global Studies, International Studies, Medieval Studies, Transnational Perspectives, and World Literature.  All have very similar descriptions and similar lists of courses revolving around my curiosity in International Relations and Global Studies.

First I eliminated Global Studies just cause, and then Medieval Studies since I am debating on that one as a major.  In the end I was torn between Transnational Perspectives, as I think I would enjoy learning about the issues across different cultures and how they are molding nations; International Relations because I have begun some of the requirements for it, and already plan on continuing my foreign language education further, as well as  study abroad; and finally World Literature because I enjoy reading, analyzing stories, and comparing literature and its development across cultures and centuries.  I have taken a Comparative Literature class in high school, and LOVED it!  But I am entirely unsure if I will love it just as much now in college.  (I have also been internally arguing with myself about possibly Comparative Literature as a major)

In the end though, I guess it will have to take some time and experimenting with new classes to find what I truly want to major and minor in.  As well as many more discussions and meetings with my lovely advisor. 🙂

Click the link, to bring you to the DUS MinorQuest website so you can do your own exploring!

DUS Advising offices are located in the Grange building, depicted below.

grange

The Latest in Ferguson

ferguson

Recently there have been reports that the Ferguson, Missouri Police Chief, Thomas Jackson, is expected to step down from his position.  This would be just one reform of the efforts expected to be made by city officials and government officials, discussing the issues at hand in this city of turmoil.  The proposed plan is for the current police chief to step down and the police chief from St. Louis County to take over.  However, both the mayor and the chief deny these allegations.

This is a step in the plan attempting to ease the tension between the city’s police force and the community. With a majority of the Ferguson community being black, the demographic of the police force should, if not match, be somewhat higher than the amount of white police officers.  After all, it is all psychological, sociological, and natural.  As people, we flock towards those who are our kind; who look like us, dress like us, talk like us, etc..  In many instances, we also show more respect towards those like us.  So an issue in Ferguson, Missouri right now, would apparently be the lack of respect to those in authoritative positions because they are white, and because they are part of the issue.  Race is playing a major role in the hold up of the entire Michael Brown case.

Check out the full article from CNN.

Harry Houdini

ihoudin001p1Ironically, on October 31, 1926 The Great Harry Houdini died of peritonitis in a Detroit hospital.  He was “the most celebrated magician and escape artist of the 20th century” .  Born the son of a rabbi, in Budapest in 1874 as Erik Weisz, he immigrated to Wisconsin when he was still young.  He had a natural talent as an acrobat, and was excellent at picking locks.  At nine years old this prodigy of the abnormal toured the country as part of a circus, and became an infamous contortionist and trapeze performer.  Eventually Houdini became a master of escape acts, as he could escape out of literally ANYTHING (except death).  Unlike almost all showman of his time that relied on allusions and tricks, Houdini relied on his strength, dexterity, and great concentration to execute a performance. In 1900 he went on his first international tour throughout Europe.  By 1908 he was taking his skills to an entirely other level; life or death.  Some of his most well known escapes include him being buried alive six feet under, being “bound and then locked in an ironbound chest that was dropped into a water tank or thrown off a boat. In another, he was heavily bound and then suspended upside down in a glass-walled water tank”.

Later in life Harry Houdini dedicated his life and talents to advocating against those who claimed to have houdini 3supernatural talents, but were really just little tricks.  Before he died, Harry had made a pact with his wife and friends that whomever died first would attempt to communicate with the real world from the other side (he was a big believer in spiritualism).  Unfortunately, Harry never received a sign from his deceased friends, and his wife never received one from him before she died in 1943.

Harry Houdini died at the age of 52, after bragging to a group of college students about how strong his stomach muscles were and their capability to take hard blows.  Unsuspectingly, one of the students decided to test it out, and punched him twice in the stomach before he could prepare.  The punches ruptured his appendix, and Houdini became extremely ill on his train to Detroit, where he performed one last time before his appendix poisoned him to no avail.

The irony of his death is evident in two instances.  First, the most famous, and darkest magician of all died on Halloween night.  Second, it was the 13th day since he had became a punching bag for some Montreal college student. (Gotta love lucky number 13).  Even though he was in extreme pain, Houdini’s show still went on!

houdini-image-2-299932135

Quotes and info taken from this link!

Mr. President

ATLAS

Kevin Cass is president of one of the largest student orgs on campus, Atlas.  Atlas is the highest earning fundraising organization for Penn State’s annual THON, the past four years in a row.  Since formed in 2005, Atlas has raised over $2 million dollars For The Kids, and supported many Four Diamonds families whose children undergo or have undergone treatment at the Hershey Children’s Hospital for pediatric cancer.

At first, Kevin just wanted to become as involved as he could in all activities, clubs and orgs on campus.  He discovered Atlas at the activities fair his freshman year, talked to a variety of THON orgs, and decided to go to his first Atlas meeting since the floor he lived on was called Atlas Hall.  The passion and fun that everyone had for such a great cause brought him back, over and over again.  It was there, he discovered that through this club he’d achieve his goals. He took on some smaller leadership roles and gradually moved up the ladder.  As an under classmen Kevin would run and host canning trips, his sophomore year he was a Fundraising Captain, and his  junior year he became Canning Chair.  Many members and fellow Atlas leaders suggested he should run for president his senior year, and the next thing he knew he was President of Atlas.  Previously, he didn’t have much experience in such a high leadership role; in high school he was a team captain.  But this University inspired him to become a better leader, and the best that he could be.  It has motivated him and given him a boost of confidence (especially with public speaking), and even influenced one of his majors.

When we asked Kevin what is was like being President, a huge smile came across his face. He said, “It would suck if I didn’t love it so much”.  Kevin has a great time being President of Atlas, but it takes a lot of time management to really enjoy it.  Kevin estimated he spends 60-80 hours a week on Atlas related activities and duties.  As a student with two majors and two minors, that’s a lot!  But Kevin loves what he does and refers to it as a, “welcome distraction”.

The advantages of holding such a prestigious leadership position for Kevin, is the impact he and the org have, and the way it all changes peoples lives.  Plus it’s a great way to get people involved.  The only disadvantage he has experienced, is that as a result of being so involved in one org, it can take away from being involved in many other clubs, orgs, and activities.  He had to sacrifice some other clubs he had an interest in.  But he is still involved in one of the campuses Engineering clubs that are involved and help out at the middle school.

Kevin hasn’t faced many challenges as President.  A minor one is his difficulty remembering names.  But I think it’s safe to say that many of us face that challenge.  We recognize faces, but can’t recall names.  His other difficulty was a personal one, that I can relate to as well.  His role as President requires a lot of delegation and trust in other people- which can be difficult for him because he likes to have control over everything.

His favorite memory from being so involved with Atlas was his sophomore year within the last 10 hours of THON.  Kevin along with a few other Atlas members actually went to Hershey Medical Center for several hours to be with the kids who were too sick or incapable of being there at the Bryce Jordan Center, and cheer them up.  Then later when they returned to the BJC, and the amount of money was revealed, he loved being there celebrating and supporting all of the families who are and have been effected by pediatric cancer.  Kevin said that before Atlas he didn’t have a lot of knowledge about pediatric cancer. But now, he has the opportunity to learn about the cause, and help make a difference.

Maddie and I are both members of Atlas, so immediately we knew which President we each wanted to interview.  For convenience, we agreed to interview him together, and I am glad we did.  It can be nerve-racking to explore out of your comfort zone. So bringing a friend helps you (or at least me) to be more relaxed and myself.  Kevin was extremely friendly, flexible with availability, and willing to answer all of our questions.  I hope to be as involved as him on campus, and to make a difference one day.

Click the link to find out more about ATLAS

atlas THON

Pretty Boy Floyd

untitled (13)On October 22, 1934 Charles “Pretty Boy” Floyd was shot and killed by FBI agents in a cornfield in East Liverpool, Ohio.  After giving up on trying to farm in a drought, Floyd left Oklahoma and became a bank robber.  His first conquest was a St.Louis payroll delivery in Missouri, where he spent time in prison until he got out on parole in 1929.  Shortly after, Floyd learned that Jim Mills had shot his father to death and was never charged- Mills was never heard from again.

Moving on to a bigger game, in Kansas City, Floyd became friendly with the criminal community.  There, a local prostitute nicknamed him, “Pretty Boy”, and with a few prison friends he robbed a handful of banks in Missouri and Ohio.  But this pretty boy got caught for that one too, as he was sentenced to 12-15 years.  However he never did pay his time for the crime.untitled (15)  On the way, he kicked out a window and jumped out of a speeding train.  Eventually he made it to Toledo and met up with Bill “The Killer” Miller and went on a nation wide crime spree until Miller was killed in a crossfire in 1931.

Floyd went back to Kansas City and became a nationally known criminal figure, after he killed a federal agent during a raid.  He fled to his home state of Oklahoma, where everyone was poor and suffering from the Great Depression.  Naturally, no one was going to turn in a fellow native for robbing banks.  After all they all needed money too.  Charles Floyd became a form of Robin Hood in the eyes of many natives to Oklahoma.  At least, most natives.  The governor of Oklahoma issued a $6,000 bounty for Charles “Pretty Boy” Floyd dead or alive.

June 17, 1933 the urgency to capture Floyd grew, as authorities grew even more impatient, after law officials were ambushed by a machine-gun attack in a Kansas City train station while transporting, Frank Nash, to prison.  Whether Floyd was responsible or not was unclear, but either way the FBI and news media blamed him.  As a result, surveillance was stepped up and the fugitive was finally caught on October 22, 1934.

All of my info was taken from this site.

Check out this site for more info from the FBI on Pretty Boy’s Kansas City Massacre: Famous Cases & Criminals

Newseum

Newseum

On Saturday October 18, 2014 myself along with twenty-four other Discover House members took on D.C.. Our second stop of a 4 hour bus ride, but main attraction was the Newseum! A fantastic place, filled with history and culture of every aspect, from (almost) every country, filled literally every room and every corner! And what better place to read about history, changing culture, and current events, then in the news?  This museum had it all.

Berlin wallWhile I definitely didn’t see every exhibit of the seven floor museum, every single one is worth your time.  Some of the exhibits I loved, included: 1964: Civil Rights at 50, 9/11 Gallery, Berlin Wall Gallery, The Boomer List (NEW), COX First Amendment Gallery, the FBI Exhibit, Make Some Noise, Pulitzer Prize Photographs Gallery, and Today’s Front Pages Gallery; where I actually got to see the Asbury Park Press (a paper from New Jersey), and a cover story about my high school football team!

Newly on display, the Boomer List features large portraits of iconic celebrities, comedians, and hosts, who were born each year of the baby boom from 1946-1964.  boomer listPhotographer, Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, chose his boomers based on those who illuminated the “diversity and talent of their generation”.  Some of those featured include: Billy Joel,  Tommy Hilfiger, Kim Cattrall, and Rosie O’Donnell.

Personally, I thought the FBI Exhibit was THE coolest!  It included 200 artifacts, and photographs of the most media covered events over the past centuries.    One of the coolest artifacts there, was the Unabomber’s actual cabin where he hid out.  This exhibit, provides an inside look to the love-hate relationship between the FBI and media.

Last but certainly not least, the Pulitzer Prize Photographs Gallery was absolutely breathtaking.  The amazing moments captured with the click of a button, shutter of a lens, and flash of a bulb were incredible.  There really are no words to pulitzerexplain, how they make you feel.  And the stories behind the photographs are even more incredulous.  What many of photographers have gone through and experienced just to get the shot, is unimaginable to much of our society.  This photo gallery, and each picture in it, literally says a thousand words.  Of all the exhibits the Newseum contains, this gallery was one you NEEDED to visit.

Our trip to the Newseum gave us a glimpse into the reality of what is behind the news we hear, see, and read on television, social media sites, and the old school newspaper every day.

For more info on exhibits, to see what will be coming soon, or the overall Newseum itself, click here.  Also click the link if your interested in arranging a visit of you own!

newseum_2

Chimanda Ngozi Adiche

untitled (12)On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 7:30pm in the Schwab Auditorium me along with most of my English 15S 008 class attended a lecture lead by the author of best selling Americanah, Chimanda Ngozi Adiche.  This was one of he best book lectures by an author that I have ever attended- then again it was my first.  She was humorous, relatable, honest, and reliable.  I felt as if she didn’t sugar coat anything she was speaking to us about.

She discussed her home in Nigeria, what her life was like-is like, and what her family is like.  We got more insight into the author’s personal life, as she described to us her writing method, and told us stories of her child hood.  In a way, it was as if she established herself as a ‘real’ person, just like her audience.  She even described to us her experience as a foreigner in a new place; similar to freshmen in a new place, a new environment, new friends, and no parents.  Clearly, Adiche wasn’t ignorant to who the majority of her audience was.

Plus I loved learning her opinion about racism in the world, and how she thinks it just a concept of man.  After all we are all the same, we just have different skin pigmentations., as well as her perception of women in society.

This was definitely a lecture well worth it! If you missed it…regret it!

Here’s an article about the event from Onward State!

The Executive Mansion

On October 13, 1792 the cornerstone for a presidential residence was laid in the new capital city of Washington, D.C., by President George Washington.  French architect, white-house-north-1892Charles L’Enfant, designed the city’s unique layout; comprised of dozens of circles, avenues that crisscross, and many parks.  Located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and with the guidance and expertise of, James Hoban, an Irish American architect, work began on what would become known as the White House.

On November 1, President John Adams and wife, Abigail, were the first to move into the executive mansion.  During the War of 1812 the White House was set on fire with the rest of the capital by British soldiers.  It was rebuilt and enlarged by Hoban with an addition of east and west terraces, and north and south porticos.  This 1814 fire, resulted in the White House’s name, as the smoke-stained walls were painted white.

The White House is the oldest federal building in our nation’s capital, and attracts over a million tourists a year.

United_States_Capitol_-_west_front

Info found at: White House Cornerstone Laid

Fall Festivities

photo 2

This past weekend I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather in State College and explore the Pumpkin Festival at the Arboretum! I went with my parents on Fridayphoto 1 night since they were up for parents weekend, and it was one of the best ideas ever!  With the perfect fall temperature, my parents, pumpkins, lights, and playful children everywhere it was the perfect place to spend the evening.  Plus the pumpkin carving contest was a great way for Penn State University students and the community of State College to interact.  The pumpkins were funny, scary, pretty, and they all showed off spectacular carving skills.  I even got to see the pumpkin I carved of Jack Skeleton with the help of a friend, as well as all the other pumpkins that Discover House members worked hard on.

I went back on Sunday afternoon with my boyfriend, and it was just as amazing during the day as it was at night.  The gardens, views, open landscape, and overall atmosphere were full of beauty.  Overall the Arboretum is peaceful.  I’ve definitely found my new favorite place to get away from everything for a while, and maybe even get some homework done there when the weather allows.

Even though the Pumpkin Festival has passed, you should still take a walk to visit the Arboretum! You wont regret it!

10411342_10202341702776274_2378209410988328446_n

(Thanks to my mom for snapping pictures on her phone!)

The Great Chicago Fire

untitled (9)On October 8, 1871 around 9:00PM a fire started in the barn of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary, at 13 DeKoven Street, Chicago, Illinois. This barn fire practically ignited the  2trichrc27716city for 2 days, killing 200-300 people, leaving hundreds of thousands of people without a home,and destroying more than half the buildings in the city (17,450); Wooden homes, private mansions, and industrial buildings were all set ablaze. This Great Chicago fire caused $200 million dollars in damages, leveling 4 miles of the infamous Windy City.

However fires were not unusual in this dry city.  In fact, the  previous year Chicago averaged 2 fires per day, and the week before there were 20 fires throughout Chicago.  It wouldn’t be too long before this Windy City was alive again.  After all the physical layout of the city remained intact and so did the city’s sewage, water, and transportation systems.  Shortly after, Chicago began to prosper.  The population rapidly grew from 324,000 Chicagoans in 1871, to 500,000 by 1880, and 13 years after that there was approximately 1.5 million citizens of Chicago.  The city was reconstructed into the most modern city of its time, including the privilege of being home to the world’s first skyscrapers!  2farwbld

Although the great Chicago fire was absolutely devastating to all those who called Chicago home, it would never have modernized into the city it is today without this accident occurring.  And with that said, nothing so devastating has happened thus far, since then.  So lets cross our fingers and hope for the best!

Check out this article where I got most of my info from: This Day In History: Chicago Fire

Also check out this neat website for more info and cool photos from the day and aftermath: The Chicago Fire

Education Abroad Fair

This afternoon I decided to check out the Education Abroad Fair happening in the Hub from 11:00- 4:00PM.  Studying abroad has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember, and London has been THE place where I want to study since I visited in the summer of 2010.  It was on my 5 day visit of my 2 week vacation that I fell in love with this city in England!  Naturally, this EAF was the place to find out more info.

Unfortunately, the way it was organized left any students who are undecided and apart of DUS wandering aimlessly.  The way the Alumni Hall had been set up was for LondonEnglandFlagstudents to find their enrolled college table, discuss your interests and then visit their corresponding schools in the part of the world where they wanted to travel, then talk to a representative.  So being in DUS, left me with no place to really start.  I may not know Regents-University-London12exactly what I want to major in, but I DO know that I want to study abroad.

I didn’t let that setback stop me from exploring.  Instead I walked around a bit to check out the Education Abroad Advisor table, where I picked up some informational pamphlets, and I made my way to several other tables that looked interesting.  I stopped and talked  to a girl at the College of Liberal Arts since the majors I am looking at all seem  to come from that College.  She was as helpful as she could be with a student who didn’t know what she was studying yet.

I cant complain about the overall event, as I did collect a lot of information about trips to London, England, the semesters, the requirements, duration, and financial costs.  I look forward to the day when I will speak with my advisor as well as an Education Abroad Advisor about my opportunity to study in London!

Americanah Discussion

This evening I went to the Americanah  discussion at 8pm held in Willard, along with four of my fellow classmates.  The room was too small for the decent sized turn out of the event, and slightly scorching too.  While I was unsure of what to expect, it certainly wasn’t close to the idea I had in mind.  First, the guy leading the discussion was thoroughly unamused….so it’s safe to say he did not catch my attention or interest.  Nor did he entertain the majority of the rest of the room who were dropping like flies; some literally falling asleep and others racing for the exit and cool air.  There were a total of five people actively participating, and the conversations seemed to flow in an argumentative circle with people’s perspectives of the novel clashing.  The questions were all extremely similar, regarding race and the relationships of Ifemelu and Aunty untitled (8)Uju.  Therefore, the answers were all extremely redundant.  I really wish this discussion had been more enticing, exciting and open to participation.  Instead the atmosphere was just very tired and dull.

Advice: If you did not go, don’t feel sorry.  It was an experience I could have lived without.

However the book is one I would highly recommend you all to actually READ! Not just skim through, read the summary on the back cover, or even just the title. If you find the time, read Americanah by Ngozi Adichie, and take the time to understand and empathize with the real struggles of immigrants that are experienced every day in America.  A new perspective, can change the way you look at life and live yours.

PSU Fittness

untitled (7)    untitled (6)

Looming on all of us is the Freshman 15. Striking fear into all who miss homemade meals, get dinner or a late night snack after 10pm, and who snack when they’re stressed.  Yes, walking or biking to class helps to combat the fat.  But by becoming a member of any of the 3 fitness facilities on campus can help even more.  Exercise is a way students can relieve some stress or anger, get away from homework and assignments, and a way to keep healthy.

This week, I finally accomplished a goal of exercising in all three fitness facilities on campus.  The White Building is the most convenient gym for me, as it is practically right across the street.  However the Rec gym as well as the I.M. gym require more of a trek- but we did it. (I dragged along some of my fellow floor mates).

The White Building fitness center, while convenient is also extrememlely crowded.  The easiest time for me to go is in the evening after classes, which also happens to be the most convenient time for the majority of other gym-goers All those sweaty bodies makes for a pretty uncomfortable work out…in a small space.  Plus the stairs required to walk up after a hard workout, makes it all more exhausting. The Rec gym is similar in size, and also very crowded. Closer to North along ‘Frat row’ , it’s a little far for a quick gym session for anyone living in Pollock, South or East Resident halls.  It was newer than the White Building and appeared cleanlier, yet with the few amount of machines I still felt like I was right next to the person working out beside me.

The newest and largest fitness facility on campus would without-a-doubt be in the I.M. building (my favorite).  Although all the way up by East and overlooking Beaver Stadium, there is no more comfortable place to get fit. There are easily accessible lockers to contain, your belongings and plenty of machines well spread out for an enjoyable experience. Plus the I.M. building is home to the most modern exercise machines.  You can listen to music, watch T.V., or surf the internet, all while working up a sweat on the treadmill.  There is even a longer allotted time; instead of 20 minutes that include a cool down, there you get 20 minutes of your workout and then an additional 5 minutes for a cool down. A great method to insure that you keep working hard and then gradually slow your heart rate!  Yes, the I.M. gym is the furthest but for the best workout, I would make the walk up there.   Also located in the I.M. building are flyers, information, and sign ups for different fitness classes, clubs, and intramural sports.

Ultimately you’d benefit from any of the gyms you decide to go to.  It’s just a matter of the one you prefer!

imagesES7H99ER