Blood Drive

untitled (8)

Since the first day of the semester I have spotted “Blood Drive Today!” signs and posters all across campus.  Literally, I feel like everywhere I go and no matter where I look there is a sign there- no matter the day.  I had never donated blood before, and never had much interest in donating.  Honestly, the whole idea and process really scared me.  Then one day I was talking to a friend about the Blood Drives that were happening on campus and she told me that the one in November is actually a competition between Michigan State University and Penn State University, and the school that has the most donors is announced at the game. (Of course donating blood becomes a competition…it wouldn’t be a good rivalry without one, right?)

It took a couple of days, some discussion with my floormates, an actual shove, and some encouragement….but I finally made my way over to the Blood Drive one day last week.  I went with two other friends who had never donated blood, so we decided to try it together!  We were all terrified! A familiar face of my friend’s was working it, so of course we bombarded her with questions.  After an extremely long wait (which they shouldn’t give you because after thinking about it for a while many chicken out-which I desperately wanted to do, but didn’t) I went first behind the barrier to where the Red Cross had their whole set up.

The man who called me back could tell how nervous I was, but he was extremely kind and understanding of the whole thing.  He said that most people were, which made me feel a little more comfortable.  First we went to this make-shift desk contraption where there were some medical supplies and auntitled (9) computer.  He went through the process of registering me in their files, taking my temperature, and then checking my pulse and blood pressure.  But before I could actually donate my blood, he had to check my iron levels.  The do this with a little tool that pricks your finger a TINY bit so that they can get a little sample of your blood. They would like all donors iron level to be at least  12.4.  But unfortunately mine tested slightly below the limit at 12.1.  He tested me again, and it was even lower at 11.4!  Honestly, I was really disappointed.  This meant that I could no donate my blood like my other two friends were doing, and I wouldn’t be able to really contribute in the schools’ competition- the only reason I manned up to donate in the first place.

Although I couldn’t donate, many of you still should!  It’s an excellent way to save 3 lives AND beat MSU at something other than football…hopefully.

One thought on “Blood Drive

1. This happened to me too! I plan to try again soon–I’ve donated a few times in the past and while I’m no fan of needles it really isn’t that bad! Definitely try again!