#3- “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

Peeking my eyes through the cracks of the fence, encasing me in the dugout, I catch sight of the crowd filling in the seats, the camera crew following each step we take, the innumerable “Go East!” signs accompanied by ecstatic, yet anxious, family members, friends, and strangers; with sweaty palms, weak knees, and heavy arms, I can attest to the association between my distressing once in a lifetime opportunity and Eminem’s. This week, I present rap’s greatest song, “Lose Yourself” by Eminem, a song that aptly prompts relatability to its listeners through raw aggression, admittance, and self-encouragement.

By asking his audience “Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment would you capture it, or just let it slip?” Eminem initiates a raw account of the hardships he endured to exemplify the significance of the opportunity he prepares to write about. By beginning with this question, he attempts to humanize his audience by validating its credibility to real life by relating it to the significant opportunities people must either choose to tackle or let dwindle. Of course most people would respond favorably in that they would seize the moment, so Eminem educates them on the consequences that come with it: sweaty palms, weak knees, heavy arms. Is it worth it? To him, of course. On the basis thereof, this song deservingly sits on my list of favorite songs.

Although the mere message of the song is enough to impress me, its relatability to my hyperactive, yet vivacious softball roller coaster ride at 12/13 years old is what makes its meaning so profound. Yes, Eminem’s “one chance” he sings about and the golden opportunity he highlights is a little more intense than my softball experience, my softball experience deems a little more intense than the sports’ experiences of my peers and of most kids that age due to incessant practice, rigorous conditioning, and sacrifice. At 12 or 13 years old, I was lucky enough to play on a little league softball team that had the skills set to win their way to the little league softball world series and while there, win their way to the semi-finals, the game that was broadcasted live on ESPN. Undoubtedly it represents one of the best moments of my life, but also the most nerve racking.

Presenting a serene infusion of soft piano ballads and ghastly hymns, Eminem alludes to the composure one feels while still in denial, prior to the big event. Before my live game, I remember almost hearing this melody he introduces while sitting in the grass with my teammates under a big Oregon tree, picking the dandelions that you make wishes with–carefree. Abruptly, as if showcasing the speed of time, a guitar interrupts with intensity and anxiety as Eminem asks the question I previously mentioned to introduce the opportunity he plans on rapping about, thus resembling the intensity I felt as time raced and i was suddenly on the field with an astronomical amount of people in the stands and watching on television, inducing the great fear I felt. Letting anxiety build, Eminem depicts the significance of his opportunity just before finally speeding it up with a production of more instruments to build up the moment; the transition of the beat coupled by the transition of his words create the dramatic effects often conveyed in movies when the character begins walking and suddenly snaps into a determined sprint, ready to combat some challenge. That scene he allows me to craft in my mind likewise was created in reality–the song’s ability to coincide with my experience elevates its significance as I slowly stepped out of the dugout to present myself shyly to the audience, yet continuing with an explosive sprint to my position as this transition of the song plays out in my mind. Running out to the field, I respond “yes.” In response to his question, my answer is I would choose to capture this moment.

In spite of the 5 minute, 26 second detailing of success driven by hardship, the most meaning stems from the beginning of the song from the tranquil introduction to the building apprehension of fear and exuberance. With his smooth transition from breathlessness and the fear of choking to his refusal to give up emphasizes his imperative message of pushing through conflict to ultimately succeed. Albeit a common message among people who have prospered, Eminem succeeds with “snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity” to again humanize his emotions to convey to his audience that he isn’t indestructible and that although he refuses to give up, his panic and uneasiness still lingers. This tactic and tender admittance of his emotions represents my admiration for the song.

Running out to the field, i felt comforted knowing that despite his unrelenting drive, he endured colossal fear and pressure just as I did. In fact, he admits that if he refused this opportunity, he would just return to his dismal mobile home and go back to the “lab” as he expresses just as if i refused the opportunity, I would be back in New Jersey, a regular softball player starting 8th grade; however, just as Eminem became globally recognized by his unwillingness to quit, I became 3rd in the world and i owe part of that accomplishment to him.