Dominate, Educate, Graduate…Penn State

BOA_spring

For the first time ever and definitely not my last time, I walked into the Bank of America Career Services Center. I’ve walked by it so many times, not too sure of what I could possibly get out of it as a freshman. Upon completion of the GetConnected Career Services Open House, I am extremely happy that I was assigned to visit and I look forward to visiting the Career Services Center again this year in search of a summer internship.

When I arrived at the Career Services I was immediately met by a very kind employee at the door. They had tons of free swag to give out while we waited in line to sign in. After signing in and collecting even more goodies, I entered the first information session about LionLink. LionLink is a program that links Penn State Students with alumni volunteer career coaches to help assist and provide valuable information in regards to future jobs. Having a link like this available to students is a great resource to help students decide what they would like to pursue in the future.

The next stop on my tour of the Career Services Building was a quick game called “Minute to Win it”. Students were divided into 4 different Big 10 schools (I unfortunately was Ohio State), and we competed against the other schools in coming up with lists of things that employees look for in potential employees, qualities that businesses like in their employees, and the mediums that businesses like to receive information about potential candidates. ab_businessmenThis was extremely helpful in getting to know what employers look for when looking for future employees.

After the game we headed to a mock networking party. Here we got to talk to Career Services employees that work in the specific fields and got information about internships, jobs in that field, and ways to attract employers . Finally we visited the Career Services library. The librarian there was extremely helpful and pointed out various books that we could use to assist us in finding jobs. She also noted that there are students who will peer edit your resume and cover letter if desired.

Reflecting on the GetConnected open house, I feel like a visit to the Career Services Center is a must for every freshman. Not only are you exposed to a very essential place to assist you as you complete your degree at Penn State but there are tons of resources to help in all four years of your undergraduate experience at Penn State. This visit reminded me of Aviary Photo_130560659958571431saying that I saw on a shirt in downtown State College: “Dominate, Educate, Graduate…Penn State”. The Career Services Center affirms the fact that there are so many people on campus ready and willing to help you have the most successful time at the Pennsylvania State University.