Goodbye to a National Hero

LEGEN#10

This week we say goodbye to a National hero. This week, Landon Donovan will be retiring from international duty. After a long and successful career with both is clubs and national team, Landon Donovan has made the decision to retire from soccer.  

Landon  Donovan is seen to many as the greatest soccer player that the United States has ever produced. Donovan has shined for all of his club teams ranging from the San Jose Earthquakes, Everton, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, and the LA Galaxy. With his current team, the LA Galaxy, Landon has won five Major League Soccer Cups, received MVP of the league, and holds the current record in Major League Soccer for most goals scored. With the United State Men’s National Team, Landon has received the US Soccer Athlete of the Year on multiple occasions, the FIFA U-17 Golden Ball, CONCACAF Gold Cup MVP, and various other accolades. As you can see, Landon Donovan has accomplished a lot during his time as a professional Soccer player.

Many may wonder why he is viewed as the greatest American Soccer Player. While one could point to all of his accomplishments and achievements throughout the years, I point at his commitment to the growth of soccer in the United States. Anyone who lives in this country will tell you that soccer is not a primary sport. Sure, everyone plays it growing up, but when it comes to attending and watching games, America isn’t too fond of soccer. When Landon Donovan easily could have spent his whole entire career overseas playing soccer, he chose to spend it here. He invested in the growth of the sport and was an ambassador for American Soccer. While many people gave up soccer in America, he never did and America is finally taking notice. Soccer in this country has grown tremendously in the past few years and continues to grow. Landon Donovan has had a big part in that.

Thank you Landon Donovan for all that you’ve done for Soccer in this country. You’ll be truly missed. I’ll never ever forget the goal that you scored against Algeria in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. You are the reason why I am so in love with this sport.

One thought on “Goodbye to a National Hero

1. Jonathan Skewes says:

Adriana,
    I love all of your pictures and the video!! As a big soccer fan, I’m really looking forward to seeing Donovan’s last game. Earlier today I watched every goal he has scored for the US. Even though he doesn’t have a good relationship with the coach, I look forward to watching him play and enjoyed reading what you had to say about it.