History in the Making

For those of you that have been following my blog for the past semester, I want to say thank you. It is great that I can share my passion of American soccer with you all. This is the last post I’ll be writing on this website and I wanted to end it with the history of American soccer and discuss its bright future. 

Soccer is believed to have came to the Untied States in the mid 1800s. The question of who brought soccer to America is up to debate. Some will argue that it was brought through immigrants who came through Ellis Island. Others would argue that the game came from immigrants in New Orleans.

In 1913, the governing body of soccer in the United States, US soccer ,was born. US soccer was one of the first organizations to be affiliated with the world soccer governing body, FIFA. Although the United States national teams have yet to win a world cup, they have made significant strides since the founding of US Soccer 100 years ago.

The United States currently has three divisions of men’s soccer and one women’s soccer league. Attendance has skyrocketed in the top tier men’s soccer league, Major League soccer. TV ratings have almost tripled in the last four years.
The Women’s National team has won two world cups and are the best women’s soccer team in the world. The men’s soccer team has had successful World Cup campaigns, surviving the group of death consisting of Ghana, Portugal, and Germany. College soccer is on the rise. Even here at Penn State, the soccer attendance has not been this high since the 80’s. FIFA, the soccer video game is one of the highest selling video games in the world. People are taking notice of the sport and it is taking the country by storm.

As a huge soccer fan, it is a great thing to see. I am overjoyed that people in this country and taking a liking to the sport I love. 

If you’re interested in the sport, I’d encourage you to do some research about it. Follow @ussoccer or @PennStateMSOC & @PennStateWSOC on twitter. Come to a game and stand with us next year. Do some research and check out the soccer teams in your area. If you’re really interested, check out Global Football Today, a website that I write for. We love growing our fan base. Also, feel free to tweet me about any soccer related stuff @adrianabreziana.

Thanks again for reading my blog and I hope you stay connected with the sport.

In America, we call it soccer

One thought on “History in the Making

1. Jonathan Skewes says:

I really enjoyed your blog, especially because I am a big soccer fan, too. Also, your pictures were fantastic. You did a great job in covering the big events in the soccer world.