Spain & the Education System

In September I started to track articles regarding the education system in Spain. Citizens of Spain have taken their frustrations to the streets to protest the budget cuts and lacking quality of Spain education as of late. Student have even gone as far as going into political buildings in order to get their point across.

While residents of Spain still have not given up their fight for high quality education, the statistics that were presented in an article published by the Guardian show the shocking facts and statistics regarding the education system in Spain.

The article cites that out of all of the countries in the European Union, Spain has the highest number of young adults ages 18-24 who leave educational intuitions prematurely with 23.6%.  The biggest issue regarding the dropout rates in the amount of poverty that is prevalent in Spain. Unicef reported that one in three children in Spain lived in poverty or were at risk of social inclusion in 2013. One of the direct consequences of poverty is lack of education. It is important that Spain can provide agencies to assist with this issue and improve their educational system to ensure that all students can be provided with great education.

2 thoughts on “Spain & the Education System

1. Alicia Qin Hoke says:

Adrianna! The Philly school district, as you promised me, is NOT being covered! You must first represent the turmoil happening in your own city! I was a victim of the Philly school district! I SAT ON THE GROUND IN MY CLASSES because there weren’t enough desks. But overall good blog post. I’m glad that you’re shedding light on the faults in the education system around the world. Really great blog over all my friend! Keep up the good work!!!!! 😀

2. Leigh Erin Bernetich says:

Going back through your posts about Spain’s Education System, I can see how much of a problem this is. Living in the US, I think we are a little spoiled. Granted our education systems could be better, but they definitely sound much more advanced than Spain’s. I would love to know why more people don’t know about the problems that other countries are facing around the world, and are only concerned with what is happening to them. I wish we could do more.