Love, Simon is Great Representation

The past year has seen some major increases in representation in blockbuster movies. Starting in 2017 with Wonder Woman, which earned more money than multiple notable male-led superhero movies in the last ten years, the momentum has continued with international hit Black Panther. Both of these film seem to usher in a new type of action movie – one that doesn’t use offensive punchlines to get laughs from the audience, is aware of the impact the films have on the people that watch them, and celebrate groups that aren’t typically celebrated in mainstream films.

Just some of the audience reactions to Love, Simon via Twitter. Photo courtesy of https://www.pride.com/lovesimon/2018/3/26/15-powerful-love-simon-reactions-show-why-film-so-groundbreaking

Following in their footsteps is a different kind of movie, but no less powerful. Love, Simon premiered in the United States on March 16 and has made a significant splash with audiences of all walks of life. The film tells the story of Simon, a gay teenage boy (Nick Robinson) that has told no one that he’s gay. Another boy, known online as ‘Blue’, that goes to his school runs an anonymous blog about being gay, and Simon reaches out to him. They exchange numerous emails, but as Simon develops feelings for Blue, the other boy decides to stop using his blog. The emails that Simon sent Blue get published on the school blog, effectively outing him without knowledge or permission to everyone he knows. Simon’s forcible outing leads to unconditional acceptance from his mom (Jennifer Garner) and friends. He has some conflicts with kids at school, but eventually, Simon becomes confident and secure in his sexuality.

I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t say firsthand what the emotional impact has been for audiences. However, there has been a tremendous amount of support from the LGBTQ+ community for the accuracy and respect given by Love, Simon to the community. There has been an outpouring of stories about how this movie has helped people realize that they’re gay, or showed them how to reach out to queer friends and family members. Joey Pollari, one of the cast members of Love, Simon, was inspired to come out after being in the film. He’s said his story mirrors that of Simon, and it gave him the courage needed to tell his friends and family that he’s gay.

Movies like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Love, Simon, gain their large followings and support from audiences that see themselves reflected in the characters. Wonder Woman was made largely by a diverse group of women. Black Panther was made by a diverse cast and crew of mainly people of color. Love, Simon is based off of a book written by a woman that, though not queer herself, is an outspoken ally that has done plenty to help the community, and directed by queer people. These movies are so good because the people at the helm understand the stories that they’re trying to tell.

This fan-made news alert, styled after CNN, features Lexa. A popular character from the CW’s The 100, her death received a huge amount of backlash from fans. Photo courtesy of https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/397935317065049437/

However, while all three are unique and worthy of blog posts, Love, Simon is special. There are very few films, let alone blockbusters, that don’t have a token gay person that’s comprised of stereotypes. Those that don’t use queer characters as comedic relief often use tropes such ‘bury your gays’ (when queer characters are killed off) which goes hand in hand with the general lack of happy endings for queer characters. These are true for TV as well as films. There’s this idea in mainstream media that gay people don’t have happy endings, but Love, Simon lets Simon be happy. That’s the whole point of the movie; accept who you are, who cares what other people have to say. He has the support of his friends and his family. Simon’s happy ending gives gay people hope. It especially gives young queer people hope that while they’re closeted now, they won’t always be.

Representation in movies and television and books is hugely important. People learn how to handle different situations from the media that they consume. Love, Simon can teach queer people that it’s okay to be out and proud of who you are, just as it can teach straight people how to be supportive. It gives society an example of an accepting family in contrast with the unacceptable homophobia shown by other characters.

I’m tired of contrite coming out stories. I don’t know if I want to see Love, Simon because I want to move on from having characters come out over and over again. I want to get the point where there are gay romantic comedies, more TV shows than just Brooklyn 99 (a fantastic show, definitely take a look) with more than one queer character, those rare queer characters aren’t rare anymore AND they don’t get killed off whenever the fans start getting too excited about a possible queer relationship between the Gay Character and the Main Character.

That’s what I want.

Love, Simon is a wonderful step in that direction.

One thought on “Love, Simon is Great Representation

1. Although I have not seen this movie, I find your post to be very interesting and I would like to go and see this movie. The story seems simplistic yet very interesting with a message that is outright and powerful. I personally am not always a fan of gay characters in TV and movies, not at all because they are gay but because they often seemed forced into the show somewhat awkwardly. I agree with you that it will be great someday when these characters are just regular characters that are seen everywhere and I think this movie is a step in the right direction.