Racist Advertisement for Soap Stock Photo - Alamy

There is a lot to unpack with this ad. After filtering through the shock of what it is trying to accomplish and the means to do so, I think it is somewhat hilarious to look at. 

My most pressing concern about this ad is the comparison of Chinese people to a liquid dish detergent, or why Chinese are involved in the ad at all. The whole point of the ad is to sell a new and innovative product that would make time-consuming chores more efficient. However, I think the designer really just wanted to further their own political opinions because the whole “The Chinese Must Go” message seems irrelevant to an advertisement for soap. The text around the image does an excellent job of selling the product (besides the “we have no use for them” statement).  

What is even more appalling to me is the idea that they can eradicate an entire race of people from the United States because they created a new product for chores. This means the designer viewed Chinese people as unskilled labor and nothing else. “We have no use for them since we got this WONDERFUL WASHER.” This might be an insanely hot take, but Chinese people are… people? And not living for the sole purpose of washing your clothes or building the railroad? So no, you can’t just kick Chinese people “back to where they came from” simply because you made liquid detergent. 

I find the depictions of the Chinese laborers very offensive and generally atrocious.  Why do they all look the same (I think this one might just be the classic “all Asians look the same” stereotype)? Why are their expressions so repulsive? Why are they getting kicked off a cliff by Uncle Sam? The artist relied on the most insulting stereotypes to portray Chinese people. Uncle Sam kicking them in the butt off a cliff truly shows how the artist views Chinese people as beneath Americans, furthering Chinese oppression and discrimination. 

A major theme of the advertisement is encouraging cleanliness and hygiene through use of the detergent, and uses Chinese people as a contrast. The advertisement pushes to not use their product “if you want to be dirty,” that it “will not injure the cloths,” and is “better than anything ever offered to the public.” So in essence, Chinese labor produces still-dirty laundry, damaged clothing, and is worse than liquid soap. Yes, I will 100% be buying this product (sarcasm).

This advertisement is more of a knock to Chinese people than an advertisement. I only see this ad being effective to attract sales from fellow racists, if at all.