New Minimalism in Web Design

flat design

There’s been a sudden change-over in the past few years regarding UI design, including both icons/logos and total site design. Such changes are most noticeable in the Firefox and Chrome logos, which have gone from a more three dimensional look, to a very flat and mono-colored design, something that is supposed to appear less distracting, and more minimalist. Here’s an article discussing the changes and the benefits and cons, check it out.

http://uxmag.com/articles/a-look-at-flat-design-and-why-its-significant

3 Comments on New Minimalism in Web Design

1. aem5424
    December 9, 2014 at 3:39 pm (9 years ago)

People evolve and so does usability of icons. It is important that as society grow that these changes take place. Sometimes, in referring to the upcoming styles it is better to go with something that is not necessary the most popular. In the view of the new hipster…”whats out is in”.

2. jwj5280
    December 9, 2014 at 3:17 pm (9 years ago)

I have noticed this as well. I believe the reason for this is for both speed and clean UI design. Another thing that I have noticed was a massive revamp on old sites, such as YouTube. The major driving force behind this is the rise in mobile technology. Matt, you should check out the CSS and JavaScript framework called Bootstrap 3, which I believe is responsible for many of the web site design changes. This framework automatically scales the website based on the device viewing it.

3. krm270
    December 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm (9 years ago)

The changes to the icons is generally assumed to be changes that go along with the evolution of any popular culture. With a recent upsurge in the old Art Deco style, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we see such similar styles in upcoming icons. It’s something to look out for in the future, not just the art deco style of course but any other upcoming styles that aren’t mainstream.