Voluntourism

These past couple of blogs I have mainly been talking about traveling abroad and visiting major tourist attractions. Now that can be enticing to some, however, when you only visit major tourist attractions, you don’t really get a true taste of the country you are traveling to. There is more to a country than just its tourist attractions. So, how can you experience a country like a local? 

Well there are many ways, such as staying with a host family or staying in the outskirts of a major city. There is also voluntourism, which has gained popularity in recent years. 

Voluntourism is basically what the name implies, traveling to a different country and volunteering. It is a great way to interact with locals, explore uncommon wonders and you get to do some good while you’re at it. Though voluntourism is a bit controversial, I believe that it is a great way to travel as long as you’re mindful.  

Traveling in general is rewarding enough, and volunteering while you’re traveling makes the experience even more memorable. You get a deeper understanding of the culture through embedding yourself in it, while making a positive impact. 

I personally had a fabulous time when I went to Thailand to volunteer. I volunteered at a local clinic there, while I earned a CPR certificate. I got to stay in a local family’s home in a small village a few hours away from Bangkok. I got to talk to the locals and eat authentic local cuisine, and I must say, Thai food in Thailand is so much better than Thai food in the United States.  

Image result for rustic pathways thailand

The house the other volunteers and I stayed in.

I also got to explore Thailand without having to deal with the hassle of irritating touristsFor instance, the spent a day near a beautiful crystal blue lake, which was basically untouched. The tour company that I traveled with also arranged small trips to common tourist attractions. Snot only did I get to explore rural Thailand, but I also got to explore its other wonders.  

Image result for bangkok thailand

A beautiful picture of Bangkok, Thailand.

Now I did have a lot of fun, but for those of you who are interested in voluntourism, you have to remember that you are still volunteering. You can have fun while doing, but you have a responsibility, which you cannot neglect.  

So, if you do decide to volunteer and travel, make sure tactually do what you signed up for and not get carried away by the distractions. Also make sure to pick a program that you will actually enjoy. I really like medicine, so I decided to volunteer at a local clinic. So, think of your interests and choose the programs that will best fit you.  

All in all, voluntourism is a unique and great experience. The locals will treat you like family and show you unique locations that the average tourists would not have the chance to go to. So, enjoy yourself while giving back! 

Calm Canada

These past few posts I have mainly been focusing on countries that are half-way around the world. Though they are extremely beautiful, and I highly recommend you guys visit if you have the opportunity, they are not the most realistic travel destinations. The flight tickets can be extremely expensive, and it can be very time consuming, with just the flight taking around twelve hours.  

Thankfully, if you still really want to leave the country, but do not want to go completely bankrupt, you have an option…Canada. Canada is only five hours and thirty minutes away from Penn State, so you can drive rather than take a plane, which can be quite expensive.  

Many of us tend to overlook our neighbor to the north, so here are a few things to do in Canada. I mainly focused on areas closer to the border, like Toronto, so the trip would not be as expensive.  

Toronto Ferry Ride 

Just like the famous Staten Island ferrywhich is a famous tourist attraction in New York City that is known for its famous view of the New York skyline, Toronto also has a famous ferryYou can take a relaxing ferry from Jack Layton Ferry Terminal to Ward’s Island Ferry Dock. The ferry ride itself will showcase the beautiful skyline of Toronto. Ward’s Island is also a beautiful place to spend the day. The island is gorgeous park with a small amusement park. It is a nice and calm environment in the bustling city of Toronto. Going on the Toronto Ferry is a must when in Toronto.  

View from the Ferry

Spend a day in the city  

When in Canada, spend a day in Toronto! The city is gorgeous and extremely diverse, with so much to do. You can go shopping in Yonge-Dundas Square, which is like a calmer version of Times Square New York. You should also stop by the Toronto sign, which is a famous picture spot and in the heart of the city. I also recommend visiting the distillery district, which is famous for its old architecture and art pieces. The food is Toronto is also phenomenal. It is a fusion of various cultures, and definitely try some famous Canadian Poutine while you are there.  

Image preview

And of course…. 

Niagara Falls 

Niagara Falls is a must visit destination when going to Canada. When driving from Penn State, you can pass through Niagara Falls, so there is no excuse! People from all around the world venture to Niagara Falls to see the breathtaking view in person. You can look at it from the United States’ side, however, the Canada side is so much better. You can even go on a ferry ride near the falls, you can touch the falls on a special tour, and you can go ziplining across the falls. The Canada side is also bustling with restaurants and attractions. You can stop by Niagara Falls while going to visit the rest of Canada, or just spend your trip there.  

All in all, Canada is a great country, and the people are very nice. It is a great place to visit when you want a change of scenery, but do not want to venture too far from home. I only talked about one of the gorgeous cities in Canada. Definitely visit Canada when you have the chance. Safe travels!