Should We Believe Astrological Forecasts?

The Moon is in Leo and then Virgo today. The Moon continues its transit of your work and health sector until mid-afternoon, dear Pisces, and you’re focused on fixing problems, after which you’re inclined to want to relax and enjoy some special company. All day, you’re focused on bringing more order to your world, first in your surroundings, and later in your relationships and social life. Even though you are working faster than you usually do, and taking in more information, you seem to be able to hone in on the most important or relevant points.

According to cafeatrology.com that is my life. Plain and simple. Without even knowing anything about me besides the general vicinity of my birthday, supposedly this website can tell me anything I want to know about myself and my future: my personality traits, strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, compatibility with others, etc. All because I am a pisces.

Astrology is nothing new, as it dates back all the way to the Ancient Greeks. Astrology is the study of how movements and positions of celestial objects, specifically stars and planets, are interpreted to understand the effects they have on human events. In astrology, there are 12 constellations of the Zodiac, which correspond with the date on which you were born. Using a Zodiac sign, someone can look up their horoscope (for the day, week, month, or year), which is a prediction of someone’s future. The forecast is produced based on the positions of stars, planets, and other celestial bodies. These forecasts can be written by anybody and found anywhere, in magazines, newspapers, websites, etc., which explains why so many people are hesitant to believe them.

I have always had a very shaky relationship with horoscopes, most of the time I don’t read them because I think they are dumb and it’s just not possible that they could be true, but then I cave and read one and am freaked out by how accurate they can be. One time, for example, my cousin made me put in very specific information about the date and time I was born to get an even more “accurate” horoscope. I honestly thought it would be the usual, vague predictions and assumptions that anyone could relate to themselves, but I was shocked. Shocked.

This horoscope contained multiple paragraphs about my personality and the events occurring in my life. It. Was. Freaky. I hate to admit it, but in this moment I actually did believe in astrology. This got me thinking though: why am I afraid to admit that I might (lowkey) believe in horoscopes? Is it because I hate “believing” in something that doesn’t have cold hard facts to prove its accuracy? Or is it the stigma surrounding astrology that makes me believe it is just a foolish game? I’m really not sure.

Maybe it is because I have always been the type to need scientific proof before “believing” in something, It is interesting though because for some reason I have always been secretly fascinated by astrology. For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with space, so it makes sense that the idea of “reading the stars” was of interest to me. Hard to believe, yes, but interesting nonetheless.

I still can’t really give a definite answer on whether or not I believe in horoscopes and all things astrological. However, I can definitely say that there are moments when I do believe it, balanced out by moments when I don’t.

Don’t you worry though, you’ll still find me reading my weekly horoscope every Monday, whether I believe in it or not.

1 Comment on Should We Believe Astrological Forecasts?

1. Paige
    April 6, 2018 at 4:28 pm (6 years ago)

I have a very similar relationship with horoscopes as well. I usually don’t read them, but will occasionally see Cosmo’s Snapchat story for the week and can’t resist from reading about my own life. Everytime I read one, I find myself making ridiculous connections between the prediction and the actual happenings of my life, like trying to find accuracy that’s not really there. Sometimes though it just seems all too real and it’s more fun to believe it than not.

Reply