Desserts from Around the World

Before we leave to enjoy fall break, before we all decide to sleep in past noon, before we start hearing Christmas songs nonstop until Dec. 25, I’d thought we move away from the typical American desserts this week. It’s about time to look at some delicious desserts from around the world (aka 6 countries because that’s all I researched) that I’ve never tried before but now I want to.

Alfajores – Argentina/South America

Alfajores are cookies commonly found across South America but are most popular in Argentina. There are many variations of this treat, with the basic recipe including two shortbread cookies and dulce de leche stuffed between them. Dulce de leche is like a sweet, caramelized milk (also called milk jam in English). The cookies and filling are then sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Other versions change the filling or swap out the powdered sugar coating for chocolate, coconut flakes, and much more. Additionally, there is a Spanish version of alfajores that is often served during Christmas time. This version differs from the South American one; it typically is made of flour, honey, almonds, and cinnamon.

Chikenduza – Zimbabwe

Chikenduza, or candy cake, is a Zimbabwean yeast-based cake that in the end resembles an oversized cupcake. The cake is made with butter, flour, sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs, salt, and yeast as the rising agent. The texture is more like that of bread, and it is denser than a typical cupcake. Once the dessert is baked in large muffin cups or special muffin pans (regular muffin pans work too), they have to cool. Then, you can pour a sweet pink glaze on top that is usually created by mixing powdered sugar, water, and food coloring together.

Crème Brûlée – France

This is a French custard dessert that is also known by the following names: trinity burnt cream and burnt cream. Eggs, cream, sugar, and vanilla are the common ingredients used to create a traditional crème brûlée. After baking, the custard is left to chill, and then later, the dessert is topped with sugar. The sugar is caramelized almost to the point of burning, and this is done through a variety of ways, including using a blow torch or setting the dish under a broiler.

Mango Sticky Rice – Thailand

Classified as a Thai rice pudding dessert, khao niao mamuang—translated to mango sticky rice—can be commonly found all over Thailand in restaurants and from street vendors. This dessert is made with glutinous rice, mainly grown in Southeast and East Asia, and combined with coconut milk and sugar. On the side, there are sliced mangoes and often coconut sauce too.

Om Ali – Egypt

The om ali (also written as omali or ummali) is an Egyptian dish similar to bread pudding. Traditionally, it is made from bread or puff pastry that is divided into pieces and mixed with sugar, milk, and shredded coconut. Oftentimes, raisins, pistachios (or other nuts), and cinnamon are added on top, before the entire mixture is placed in the oven. Om ali bakes until the top is a nice golden brown and can be served either hot or cold.

Sachertorte – Austria

This famous cake was created by Franz Sacher in 1832 in Vienna, supposedly for Prince Clemens Metternich. Since Franz’s son Eduard opened the luxury Hotel Sacher in 1876, it has continued to provide people with the original Sacher cake. Typically, the cake is a chocolate sponge cake with apricot jam and chocolate icing or glaze on top. Sometimes there is a helping of whipped cream on the side. Many people have their own variations of the cake because the original recipe has remained a secret even to this day.

History of a Public Controversy Ideas

RCL

One possible topic for the history of a public controversy project is immigration reform. There’s a long history of immigration to the United States, along with many different laws and regulations that have changed throughout the nation’s history. Generations of people have debated over how many people should be allowed to enter the country? Should there even be a restriction? Should the US government provide resources to immigrants? All these questions were controversial in the past and continue to be today. I feel that immigration reform is especially prevalent now, as the US has seen a growing change in its demographics, and the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion have become more prominent.

Another idea is to explore the controversy over capital punishment. While this may sound morbid, this topic has always intrigued me ever since I learned about it. Growing up, I feel that I was always exposed to the idea that killing someone was wrong. In many good vs. evil movies or shows, the murderer was the bad guy. They were punished because they killed another human being, but then you turn around to see the death penalty, which results in the death of someone too. A person is killed because they killed someone (or committed some other grave crime). This concept of the death penalty has been around for ages. I mean, just think about the medieval ages where people were beheaded for likely less serious crimes. However, there are plenty of people who believe capital punishment should not exist in society anymore because it is inhumane and goes against constitutional laws and amendments. Others believe that it is a necessary punishment for people who committed severe crimes and that it acts as a deterrent for more crime.

Ted Talk Slides (Draft)

RCL

Here is the link to my Ted Talk slides: Ted Talk Slides

Please note that this is a very VERY rough draft of my slides because I am still figuring out how I want to structure my ideas and what exactly I will include in my Ted Talk compared to my essay.

The Benefits of Baking Therapy

As we head towards the final few weeks of the fall semester, I think it’s important for us to take a step back and reflect on our mental (and physical) wellbeing. This is a stressful time of year, and for me, I’ve always found that baking calms me down and simply lets me enjoy life. Now, unfortunately, the dorms are not conducive to baking a whole bunch of cookies, but when you get the chance, try baking as a form of stress relief. There are actually many psychologists who recommend “baking therapy,” with some even claiming that it’s one of the best mental health strategies. Why is this the case?

Well, for starters, baking can lead to a state of mindfulness, which is described as “being fully present and engaged in one task rather than multitasking or reacting to external distractions” (Walsh). In order to bake, you have to be fully present in the moment. You have to measure, chop, or pour ingredients, mix them all together, and for bakes such as cookies, you have to be watching the oven, taking trays out and putting new ones back in. This entire process requires your full attention and leaves little room for other thoughts. The repetitive actions of baking can also be soothing. When I bake, I seem to go into autopilot; my body knows exactly what to do without me putting much thought in, especially since I tend to use the same recipes repeatedly to the point that they are ingrained into my brain. I usually play my music in the background and let the familiar sensations of baking carry me away. This leads me into my next point: baking smells nice.

It’s as simple as that…well assuming nothing has been burnt. Would you rather smell the mundane things of everyday life or the aroma of freshly baked cookies coming out of the oven? I certainly know which one I would pick, but it is up to your personal preferences. However, it can’t be denied that baking produces a plethora of sensory inputs. All five of your senses are engaged, not just smell, and this can be therapeutic. Additionally, it can be more beneficial if you have positive memories associated with baking (Walsh). Recreating those same smells and tastes from your past can trigger happy and nostalgic memories, which can life your spirits. Personally, baking reminds me of spending time with my family in the kitchen, particularly during the Christmas season, and it makes me feel like I’m home.

Furthermore, the final results of all of your efforts and labor are tangible. You can see, touch, taste, and smell your delicious bakes, which can provide a sense of accomplishment (Weinber). Baked goods also can be enjoyed…in your stomach. It’s always a nice treat to have something sweet that may or may not be very healthy, but it’s important to note that you shouldn’t overindulge on these tasty bakes. Nicole Beurkens, Ph.D. and author of Life Will Get Better, claims that its best to share your results with the people around you. This action can make you feel good about yourself, as you witness others enjoying something that you’ve created with your own hands. So, the next time you feel stress weighing down on you, go find an oven and bake some delicious, sugary sweets.

Baking is my therapy. Baking tools in horizontal composition. Recipe book  background concept. Poster with hand drawn kitchen utensils. Stock Vector |  Adobe Stock

Works Cited

Walsh, Karla. “6 Reasons Baking Therapy is a Genuine Form of Self Care.” Better Homes & Gardens, Nov. 2, 2022, https://www.bhg.com/recipes/desserts/baking-therapy/

Weinber, Sarah. “Baking Is The Best Way To Alleviate Stress—Yes, Really.” Delish, Mar. 25, 2020, https://www.delish.com/food/a31669795/stress-baking/