RCL Blog #3

My elevator speech in class on Thursday was alright. The speech itself was good but how much I moved was not. The advice I got back was to move with the speech. Start on one side of the room for the beginning moving to the middle for the middle, and end for the end of the speech. I hope to be able to do this in my speech. I get very nervous speaking in front of others. When I move, it gives me something to focus on that isn’t because I am in front of many people being judged.

The advice I got for my actual speech was minimal, so that’s good. I was told not to focus too much on social media because it is a short speech, so that it would take too much time out of the main focus. I had an excellent visual for the social media part, so without it, I don’t know what other visuals I will put in besides the “I Can’t Breathe” poster I have in my last post. I’m sure I will figure something out though, we have over a week for the following speech.

The lenses I will be using are commonplaces and representation. The phrase “I Can’t Breathe” is commonplace, and without it, the systemic racism in American would be hidden to most people or at least something they could ignore; therefore, it creates representation. I will use these lenses to show how my civic artifact is karotic and how it helped give people a voice who needed one.

3 comments on “RCL Blog #3Add yours →

1. Honestly, I liked the fact that you moved around at least a little bit! It’s easier to tone down or readjust your movements than to start moving from being still and stiff. From my own experience, repurposing your movements to better fit your speech (ie hand gestures, the whole “move per topic” thing, etc.) makes your speeches a lot more effective and engaging. You’re at a good starting point and I’m interested in seeing where you go with this in your actual speech!

2. I really enjoyed the content of your speech. It seemed very well thought out, and you had some very moving lines. While you did move a bit, I find it better to be fluid than to be completely standing still, looking awkward or uncomfortable. It is much easier to tone down movement and to give it purpose than to create it when the confidence isn’t there, so you are at a great starting point. From the short bit I saw on Thursday, you seem like a great public speaker, and I can’t wait to see how you incorporate the feedback into your next attempt!

3. I liked your pitch and confidence while talking. I agree with the feedback and I like how you’re planning on incorporating these suggestions. As someone who also gets nervous speaking in front of crowds, I appreciated learning about those tactics. In general, I really like the ideas you’re planning on exploring and can’t wait to hear your actual speech!