Civic Issues #2: Education

After 13 years of regular schooling, many students decide to further their education at a college or university. To apply to these institutions, standardized testing used to be an indicator of whether or not someone is deserving to attend a certain higher education program. I’m sure we have all heard of the SAT and I am also sure we have all taken it. However, when it came time for us to apply to college, submitting standardized testing scores became optional for most institutions, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, almost 2 years later, is standardized testing still as important as it was pre-pandemic? In 2 more years, what will standardized testing be like?

An article by The College Post states that in 2022, two-thirds of colleges in the United States are going test-optional, as they “recognize that not all students’ abilities are reflected by a standardized test score.” I personally would not say that I am a good test taker, especially when it comes to standardized testing. Luckily, the rest of my academics, my involvement in my school, and extra curricular’s helped for me to stand out among other student applications and get accepted into all universities that I applied to. However, there are some students who rely on their academic performance and abilities when applying for college. The University of Chicago, a high-profile test optional school stated, “your transcript shows your academic record in the context of your school, but, since one school can be very different from another, it is useful to see evidence of academic achievement that exists outside of the context of your school” and, “we encourage students to take standardized tests like the SAT and ACT, and to share your scores with usĀ if you think they are reflective of your ability and potential.

Although the education board in some states are starting to phase standardized testing out of the college application process, others continue to consider the testing stores when it comes to being ready for college and college-level work. Colleges also encourage students to submit testing scores if the student comes from a population that is traditionally overrepresented, as well as a population that is underrepresented. The University of California sued for violating civil rights laws as standardized tests differentiate between disabled, low-income, multilingual, and outvoted minority students. In 2015, Joseph Soares, a sociology professor from Wake Forest University is a vocal critic of the use of standardized tests in the college admissions process. Soares makes the argument that test scores favor wealthier students, as low-income and minority scholars are at a significant disadvantage when taking a standardized test. This leads to a lack of diversity in four-year colleges all throughout the United States. Soares deliberates that a high school grade point average should be more than enough to give college admissions counselors a better understanding of students abilities without the biases that standardized tests carry.

I would personally agree with Joseph that standardized testing gives the majority of overrepresented individuals and wealthier prospective students an advantage when it comes to the application process. All students must fulfill the same or very similar requirements in order to graduate high school. This does not include taking standardized testing such as the SAT or ACT, but completing a set list of classes. All high schools should be teaching the same curriculum and covering the same grounds when it comes to getting a general education. In my head, it makes more sense for colleges to review high school transcripts, GPAS, and personal essays when deciding whether or not someone is the right fit for a specific university. Students who are involved in extra curricular activities, sports, and other organizations should be at an advantage rather than those who score high on standardized testing. It is more beneficial for a university to accept someone who gives back to their school, involves themselves, and stays on top of their academics rather than someone who has ideal academics but chooses not to get involved as a student. Personally, my SAT and ACT scores did not reflect my academic abilities during the time that I was in high school. However, I was involved in several extra curricular activities, I completed a lot of community service, and I also did the personal statement essay when applying for Penn State. Throughout high school, I always went above and beyond when I could to stand out in an area that was not academics and it gave me many opportunities that my grades alone would not have given me.

As more and more states decide to eliminate standardized testing in coming years, there have been rumors of changes as to how the test will be taken. I have heard that by 2024, SAT and ACT testing will be able to be taken online. Priscilla Rodriguez of College Board said the test will be easier to take, easier to give, and more relevant when it comes to the information that is covered on a test. It will be shorter with less readings and students will be allowed to use a calculator throughout the math section of the exam. Reading this as a student who took the SAT and ACT before COVID, it is slightly frustrating. I had spent my own money on a review class, review textbook, and studied for hours on end to prepare for my test. Although it was a stressful process, it was one of the first times where I had the responsibility to study for a big test. This was very helpful when I came to college, as my review classes gave me study methods and taught me how to prepare for an important exam.

The students who are upperclassmen in high school and going through the college admissions process now will have a much harder time getting into college. The universities that have chosen to go test optional will be much more competitive and difficult to get into unless the student goes out of their way to be involved in their school and their community. Although there should have been an alternative for standardized testing years ago, I am happy to finally see that SAT scores are no longer defining students academic abilities.