Interesting Read

Banking Concept Of Education (pedagogy of the oppressed)

q

In his book ‘ Pedagogy of the Oppressed’ Paulo Freire used the term Banking concept of education to draw an analogy between the banks and students. he used this metaphor to point to the fact that, students are empty vessels just like the banks and  the teachers or educators are entrusted to fill this empty vessels with knowledge and skills . he outlines the following points to make his point clear.

• the teacher knows everything and the students know nothing;
  • the teacher thinks and the students are thought about;
  • the teacher talks and the students listen — meekly;
  • the teacher disciplines and the students are disciplined;
  • the teacher chooses and enforces his choice, and the students comply;
  • the teacher acts and the students have the illusion of acting through the  action of the teacher;
  • the teacher chooses the program content, and the students (who were not  consulted) adapt to it;
  • the teacher confuses the authority of knowledge with his or her own  professional authority, which she and he sets in opposition to the freedom of the students;
  • the teacher is the Subject of the learning process, while the pupils are mere  objects.

Also a few passages from his book ” pedagogy of the oppressed” seems to me to be the general theme of his book and would like to share

Implicit in the banking concept is the assumption of a dichotomy between human beings and the world: a person is merely in the world, not with the world or with others; the individual is spectator, not re-creator. In this view, the person is not a conscious being (corpo consciente); he or she is rather the possessor of a consciousness: an empty “mind” passively open to the reception of deposits of reality from the world outside. For example, my desk, my books, my coffee cup, all the objects before me, — as bits of the world which surround me — would be “inside” me, exactly as I am inside my study right now. This view makes no distinction between being accessible to consciousness and entering consciousness. The distinction, however, is essential: the objects which surround me are simply accessible to my consciousness, not located within it. I am aware of them, but they are not inside me”

Paulo freire shows a great connection between banking concept and pedagogy as a whole. especially when he talks about the fact that students have to memorize figures and facts to ensure success, that in my opinion is oppression because success should not only be base on memorization. also the term ‘engaged pedagogy’ becomes evident in the fact that students are not being made to think critically, and that is another form of oppression..

bnk

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.