A Not So Interesting Story

I am going to tell you all the story about how I got my feminist ring. It’s not an interesting story, by any means, but it’s a story nonetheless, so enjoy it as much as you can.

I wear a lot of jewelry, but most of the things I wear have sentimental value. My necklace, for example – I haven’t taken off since I found it at a small Indian boutique at the beach this year. It’s not a very good looking necklace – it’s held together by ratty, black, string – but the reason I like it so much is because of the “om” pendant attached to the end of it. I am by no means a religious person, but this necklace seems to hold a religious value for me whenever I am feeling lost or upset. Similarly, my class ring is another piece of jewelry that I never take off – mainly because it reminds me where I come from and the last time I took it off I nearly lost it and I’m not risking flushing $250 down the toilet again. Anyways, these pieces of jewelry make sense for me to wear since they hold some kind of value for me and I consciously went out of my way to buy them.

However, the same principle does not hold true for my feminist ring. A picture of it is attached below. This ring was given to me by my friend’s friend – some girl I had met for the first time that day. It’s not a particularly nice piece of jewelry, in fact, it was bought from a  random Chinese restaurant in Ocean City, Maryland. I was at beach week with my friends, and one of them wanted to meet IMG_6215up

with his school friends for dinner, so I tagged along. One of the girls bought a bunch of cheap metal rings from the back of the restaurant and gave them to me and my friend. I took the ring without much thought and planned on taking it off once I got back home, but for some reason, I still haven’t. Most people, probably everyone, would think I’m crazy for attaching so much importance to a $1 ring I got from a complete stranger but somehow, this ring reminds me of who I am, as cheesy as it sounds. The symbol alone reminds me about why I’m so driven to succeed – both in my career and finding something I am passionate about in life. It motivates me to work hard to be the best person I can be.

One thought on “A Not So Interesting Story