Our outreach events are a wonderful time to connect with the surrounding community, families, and students at Penn State. We participate in many events throughout the year, always with activities and demonstrations in tow. At family events, we have kid-friendly activities like crafting and language games. We’ve been busy so far this year, and we have a lot more exciting events coming this Spring!
State College Area School District ESL Potluck – October 8, 2019
- SCASD’s annual English as a Second Language (ESL) potluck brings together bilingual families from all over the world.
SCASD Teacher Workshop – November 1, 2020
- Frances Blanchette, Assistant Director of the Center for Language Science, led a workshop with teachers from the State College Area School District to discuss issues of bi- and multilingualism in education
Exploration-U, November 12, 2019, Bellefonte Area High School
- Exploration-U is a large-scale community science program that focus on innovative, hands-on science activities led by collaborations between Penn State faculty and students, local school district administrators, teachers, and students, and community businesses and partners.
Exploration-U, December 5, 2019, Bald Eagle High School
We hope to see you at these upcoming events:
ENVISION Stem Career Day – February 29, 2020, Penn State University Park Campus
- The primary goal of ENVISION: STEM Career Day Supporting Young women is to help young women see themselves in the STEM fields. Join us at Penn State’s University Park campus for a full day of science enrichment, including hands-on workshop sessions, speakers, and opportunities to meet a wide variety of Penn State students, faculty, and STEM professionals.
Exploration-U – March 24, 2020, State College High School
Language & Linguistics Day – April 15, 2020, Penn State University Park Campus
- Language and Linguistics Day is an annual event held by the Center for Language Science at Penn State’s University Park campus. The event affords students the opportunity to be exposed to the field of language science,and to interact with and learn from scholars and teachers engaged in cutting edge language science and linguistics research at Penn State.
LitFest – TBA, Mount Nittany Elementary
- Each year, Mount Nittany Elementary organizes the LitFest, celebrating all forms of literacy. The event has three goals, as defined by the school:
- To have the whole school experience a variety of reading, writing, listening, and storytelling sessions.
- To promote literacy and ELA skills across all grade levels, and content areas.
- To build a broadening community of learning from the school to the district to the wider world.