RCL #3: Greek Life Deliberation Reflection

Evaluating the discussion as a whole, I felt that the Greek life deliberation was a success. The highlights of the event were the large number of students that attended, the exciting, active discussion that persisted throughout the entire event, and the fact that the event achieved the target duration of two hours. Areas of improvement included the issue brief, which could have been organized better and contained less white space to distract readers from the main points of the document. The responsibilities of each team member were not completed by all and the division of work deviated slightly from the duties assigned at the beginning of the assignment.

My role in the deliberation was to prepare the issue brief and the opening remarks that explained what’s at stake. As for my delivery, I felt that I spoke calmly and carefully. The venue was somewhat inconvenient due to its unsatisfactory acoustics, but the audience’s close proximity to the stage made communication less of a problem. I made clear the exigence of the issue and effectively introduced the conversation. I do feel, however, that I could have done a better job engaging the participants. My introduction would have been stronger if I had asked a question to stimulate discussion or opened with my personal experience with Greek life.

The issue brief was not cohesive, which might have been the reason why a few participants commented about its lack of clarity in purpose. I felt that certain group members should have contributed more to the issue guide, being that it was largely design and maintained by two or three individuals. It also should have been more concise; the audience seemed to spend a considerable amount of time reading it instead of actively engaging in the discussion. The questionnaire, on the other hand, was successful in receiving meaningful, significant responses from our participants. The survey was an appropriate length, especially when the discussion lasted nearly two hours and our participants appeared tired.

If I did the deliberation again, I would do a better job making sure that every group member was doing his or her part. The introduction and opening remarks were the “meat” of the discussion when the three approaches and potential policy suggestions should have been the main focus of the event. I found great value in the deliberation project, particularly in how it has helped shaped my management style and oral communication skills.