Interaction Fair at Penn State

This past week was quite an exciting one, especially for the upcoming freshmen. Not only did we all get to participate in the excitement of moving into a college and obtain the long awaited independence from our parents, but we all experienced what Penn State has to offer. The first weekend started off with a bang of social interaction between all of the new Penn State students; between going to parties and trying to make a good first impression with the roommate, the campus never slept. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and thus began the first day of classes.

There was excitement in the air on Monday morning when students began traveling to their classes, but the place that drew the most attention was the HUB. Every year the HUB host the Interaction Fair for all Penn State students. This fair consists of all the clubs Penn State offers, all of them eager to have new members.The fair went from the late morning to early evening Monday through Thursday and had new clubs every day. Those who came the earliest had to endure the line stretching all the way to the steps leading downstairs, and the late ones had to squish there way into the small auditorium where all of their fellow pupils were ahead joining countless clubs.

Upon entry to the Interaction Fair, my heart began to pound with excitement. Penn State is very well known for the countless clubs it has, and to finally have the ability to join those clubs was a very special feeling. After swiping my student ID and receiving my free Penn State planner at the door, all my thoughts were drowned out by the sound of excitement, as my fellow students were joining the clubs that peaked their interest. I just did not know how to start this experience. With all of the signs, club boards, and rows, I felt overwhelmed and excited. After a rapid eenie meanie miney moe game in my head, I chose a row in the middle of the auditorium.

Walking down the first row was tough. I am only a freshman and I did not want to make any bad impressions with peers, so I walked defensively. Finally, the first interesting booths. It only took about five minutes of shuffling and letting people trample all over me and I finally came to a booth of interest. “So you’re interested in ballroom dancing, huh?”, said the president of the ballroom dancing club to me. I have never ballroom danced in my life, and I still am unsure about what a ballroom really is, but I had such an excitement of trying something new I replied,”Well, I really want to try it,”.

I finally broke the ice. I joined a club. I have never felt such a release of weight from my shoulders in my life, and I was addicted. I signed up for the courses that I wanted to from the start like the advertising, marketing, and photography club, but then I lost control. There were so many clubs I was interested in, I just had to join them all. Next thing I knew, I joined the Phroth club, a THON organization, and even a cartoon club. I know I will not be able to balance all of these clubs with my social life, but I really want to try. I guess all I can say is that the next few weeks are going to be busy.

connolly-ahern13-1