Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj

I first discovered Hasan Minhaj when I watched his Netflix stand up comedy special, Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King. I was instantly attached, never had I been able to relate to a comedian so easily. In his comedy special he tells the story that was so relatable to me, as I felt like I was going through the same thing living in a brown household in high school.  I have been following him since, and when I heard that he was going to start a weekly show, to talk about whatever random topic he chose, I was ecstatic.

Image result for patriot act with hasan minhaj

Cover of Patriot Act

Every week on the show Hasan picks a new topic to dive into, exposing the harsh truths about the topic, and how it affects society. He chooses to inform his audience about the topic in the most interesting and comedic way, which allows the audience to stay engaged. One of the best parts of the show is that there is a live audience, so everyone’s reactions are pure and immediate to when the facts are being revealed. I was lucky enough to actually be a part of his audience on one of his shows. The stage for the show does live up to the hype and is very magnificent.

Some of the topics that he has discussed on his show have been the Indian Election, Supreme, and Student Loans. This just shows to go the broad variety of topics that he will discuss and bring light to for his audience. For example, in his episode on the Indian Election, he exposes a lot of corruption that goes on in the Indian government. He even interviews a member of the Indian parliament and asks him if his murder allegations were in fact true. His interviews are always light-hearted while finding a unique way to get the truth.

Hasan’s show is groundbreaking as he is the first Indian-American to host a weekly comedy show. This has paved the way for Asians as Lilly Singh better known as Super Women on youtube has received her own late-night talk, “A Little Late with Lilly Singh”  on NBC. I would really recommend watching this show especially if you are interested in any of the topics that he covers. Hasan always makes his shows very entertaining while keeping them very informative at the same time. Although Hasan Minhaj is a great comedian, my favorite part of the show definitely has to be his amazing stage.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

If you enjoy watching cop-shows but don’t want it to be all about crime fighting and the criminals, then Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the right show for you. This American Sitcom is about the ninety nineth prestinct in New York City which faces a shift when their Captain retires and a new Captain comes into play. The show follows a group of detectives and their Captain Raymond Holt. It shows all of their struggles, their fun times, and how they have become a family over the years of working together. They all trust each other, as they would take a bullet for one another, and some of them even fall in love with each other.

Image result for brooklyn 99

Detectives in Brookln Nine-Nine 

One of the main detectives in the show is the talented Jake Peralta, played by Andy Samberg, who went unchecked with his old commanding officer, allowing him to do whatever he wanted and not follow protcol. All of that changed when Captain Raymond Holt came into the picture and started to put Jake in his place, and show him the proper way to have fun at his job but still take it seriously. I think that by the end of the show both of them rubbed off on each other, as Jake became more serious about his life and career, and Captain Holt learned to make jokes and show his emotions a little bit more.

The character development in this show is absoluetly amazing, as it was great to see how each one of the detectives in the squad gets better over the first six seasons. Jake goes from being a goofy cop with no responsibility for what his actions have to someone who understands others and is more deliberate. While Detective Amy Santiago, played by Melissa Fumero,  on the other hand was the complete opposite of Jake. She was a stickler for the rules and she would do everything in her power to make sure that she was pleasing her commanding officer. But over the course of the show she realizes that needed to be independent because if she ever wanted to be a commanding offficer she would need to be strong enough to lead other people.

Image result for brooklyn nine nine

Cover Picture

I would strongly reccomend watching this show as it is a great sitcom, that has a new problem which the squad has to face every episode. The seventh season of the show will be starting in the beggining of 2020, so it would be better to catch up on the first six seasons now.

Game of Thrones

The show has had fans talking about it for almost a decade now, and the hype for the. show was at its peak earlier this year when the final season aired. The show is based on George R.R Martin’s best-selling book A Song of Ice and FireI think that the book series that Martin has created has allowed fans of his books to actually visualize and live out the fantasy world that Martin created.

The show takes place on the fantasy continent called Westeros, where the seven kingdoms reside, and of course the iron throne as well. The iron throne is the most symbolic chair in the show, as it is where the ruler of the seven kingdoms sits and everyone desires it. Throughout the show, many people sit in the iron throne and rule over the seven kingdoms and many of them do not deserve it at all. The problem with the iron throne is that everyone wants to rule over the seven kingdoms, and that’s why being the rule is very dangerous because many people want to either kill you or see you fail.

Image result for westeros

A map of Westeros

There also many “Houses”/ clans in the show which are fighting for territory, castles, and people to rule over. One of the main “Houses” in the show is “House Targaryan,” however, the lone survivor of the house is Daenerys Targaryan, played by Emila Clarke, who had been banished from Westeros. Her family had been wronged by Westeros as they had created a dynasty of being the ruler of all of Westeros. Therefore, she made it her mission to go back to Westeros and reclaim the iron throne which many people believe to be her birthright. Daenerys has to go through a very big power struggle especially because she is a woman and of a very young age. She has to fight for what is rightfully hers and overcomes many barriers, all while figuring out along the way what kind of ruler she wants to be.

While the show has had gained many fans and has gotten a lot of praise as the seasons went by, it did not deliver to the fans expectations in the last season. While every season 1 through 7 of the show was based on the book series George R.R Martin wrote, the last season got ahead of the books. Martin takes a very long time to write his books as they were very detailed when he tries to create these new worlds. Therefore, the writers of the show had to get creative and write their own ending to the story. Many fans did not like this ending, as it felt too rushed, there were a lot of holes in the story, and did not match up with the amazement the other seasons brought. I would still recommend anyone to watch this show with a lot of free time because it is a very long show. Even though the last season was not as great as the others, it is still a very groundbreaking and entertaining series to watch.

Image result for game of thrones

Daenerys Targaryen 

How I Met Your Mother

Living in New York City can be  an absolutely amazing place to be especially when you are in you are in your twenties and looking to have a good time with your pals and find the the love of your life. That is exactly the story that How I Met Your Mother(HIMYM) tells in its long nine seasons.

Related image

In the show the characters Ted Mosby, Marshall Eriksen, and Lily Aldrin are all based off friends of the shows co-creator and writer Carter Bay. Some of the episodes in the show tell the stories that Bay had in his apartment in New York City with his best friend and his best friend long time girl friend. I think that since Bay was able to base the show off some parts of his own life, it made the show more believeable. Especially since there are some many crazy things that can happen while living in the heart of New York City.

The show starts off with a naration by Ted Mosby telling his children way later in the future about how he met their mother, as she had passed away from cancer. Ted starts from the start of his journey in New York City and explains all the adventures and love failures he had before meeting their mother. I would say that it was very weird that Ted explained all of his sexual and illegal experiences to his children because I could never imagine my parents telling me stories as inappropriate. Ted struggles alot in his love life before finding the children of his mother. One of his problems is that he is a really big romantic and falls in love with most girls that he starts dating, but after a while they tend to no go his way. One of the worst things that happened to ted in his life is that he is left at the alter by his fiance because she gets back with her ex-husband.

One of the best characters in the show in my opinion would be Barney Stinson who was played by Neil Patrick Harris. I think that he was such an amazing character because while in the show, he played a straight man, which many people would consider to be a player, as he went home with a new partner almost every night, Neil was actually a homosexual in real life.

Image result for how i met your mother

I would highly recomend watching this sitcom as it is a good portrail of how difficult it is to find the love of your life when your young. Even though Ted and his gang of friends lived in New York City, a city filled with 8 millon people their love lives were very difficult. The show was always very engaging as no two episodes were the same. While hard core fans may have thought that the show deserved an alternate ending, I think that it was perfect just the way it was written.