Along with Rousseau, François-Marie d’Arouet, commonly known as his pen name Voltaire, was the primary philosopher of the Enlightenment.  Perhaps philosopher is not a fair term to use to describe Voltaire.  Today, when we think of the word philosopher, we think of a man with glasses who sips wine, leans back in his chair, and ponders human problems without getting any “real” work done.  This stereotype is perpetuated by the history of the Enlightenment:  students are taught — correctly, but often exaggeratedly — that French intellectuals gathered in saloons and discussed politics, philosophy, and other high-minded issues.  But Voltiare was different than this generalization.  Yes, he wrote dense, scholarly articles, but he also wrote stories, plays, and poems.  Voltaire was just as much a man of popular culture as he was of the intellectual class.  He had a little Mark Twain in him.

Image result for voltaire

When blogging about Voltaire, it is hard to ignore what he was most famous for:  his wit.  This gave him the innate ability to become a “famous quote generator.”  Some examples are listed below:

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

“It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.”

“Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.”

While these quotations hint at what Voltaire believed in — pessimism! — they don’t give a full picture of his ideology.

Voltaire was an admirer of Britain, particularly its governmental structure.  France’s government — at the time — was an absolute monarchy that was not respectful of religious tolerance or human rights.  Voltaire was not a freedom lover like Patrick Henry in the United States; he fell somewhere in between these two polar opposites and favored a more mild form of monarchy, called a constitutional monarchy.  This is what inspired him to view Britain with such appreciation and even spur him to write Letters On The English, a series of essays celebrating British government while attacking French government.  In comparison to France, Britain was the enlightened, progressive nation.  Its constitutional monarchy — for the most part — allowed greater freedom of religion and speech.

Image result for britain flag

As a man of science, Voltaire was generally not a friend of organized religion.  In a letter to Fredrick II, Prussia’s king, he said that Christianity “is the most absurd and bloody religion which has ever infected this world.”  Voltaire was also critical of Islam:  he called Mohammed a “religious fanatic.”  Much of Voltaire’s disapproval of religion comes from the fact that he believed that the laws of nature are inconsistent with the parables told in many religious texts.  He further thought that religious dogmas were in direct contrast with the spirit of the Enlightenment.  The “Age of Reason,” as it was called, symbolized a progression from the old doctrines and institutions the had held enormous power in the past (mercantilism, absolute power, and the Catholic Church) toward a future of decentralized control in terms of government and religion.  Therefore, a tension existed between Enlightenment leaders like Voltaire and organized religion.

Works Cited

1. “Voltaire.” Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2017.           
  2. “Voltaire Quotes.” BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2017.                                                                 

3 thoughts on “Voltaire and Enlightenment

1. This was another great read! I am not familiar or rather I do not remember learning about Voltaire so this was a very informational read. Your blogs are really inspiring me to dive deeper into history and the people who formed it.

2. I was never much of a history person, yet I really enjoyed reading this blog. I remember learning about the Enlightenment thinkers in highschool. I was under the impression that they purposely brought religion in their works and into their lives. I guess Voltaire was different, and I find that very interesting. In my opinion, people in the past clinged to their religion so tightly because it was a way for them to understand the world. Now we know so much more. Voltaire’s criticism of religion, saying it was inconsistent with the laws of nature, makes me think that he was far ahead of his time. This is a fascinating realization for me.

3. other high-minded issues. But Voltiare was different than this generalization. Yes, he wrote dense, scholarly articles, but he also wrote stories, plays, and poems. Voltaire was just as much a man of popular culture as he was of the intellectual class. He had a little Mark Twain in him.

agario unblocked