Blog 05: Part 02 – Software Defined Hardware

Ahh software.  Soon, everything will be software.  It’s great.  Last August I got myself a ham radio license and have been wading into the hobby over the last year, trying out different operating modes, playing with different antennas, buying super expensive radios.  I joined the local club and I am about 30 years under the average age.  And like a lot of old folks, they LOVE to complain about the state of things now and how great everything was in the past.  In this case, they do not like the fact that modern radio transceivers are essentially software running on a PC, rather than crystals, tubes, and oscillators.  It’s the same mentality I find a lot of the older solutions architects I work with have:  New tech is to be feared.

But you cannot deny the flexibility virtualization gives you.   If I pulled up any physical server that’s dedicated to a specific application, I would find 90% of the resources are never used.  You could run five virtual servers on that same hardware and the applications wouldn’t even notice.  The next big virtualization push, IMO, is going to be in the network hardware space.  Software defined networking is going to bring a huge amount of flexibility and THEORETICALLY an increased level of security, as various hosts will be logically segmented and fire-walled where today they are not due to the expense of purchasing that extra hardware or running those physical cables.

I say theoretically, because it will be critical that architects design secure networks and network administrators implement everything correctly.  Too many times I have seen lazy work network admins do some highly questionable things simply to get the heat off themselves when an application was down.  (The problem was a firewall rule was blocking a specific application.  Strike 01.  Of course, the application guys in charge of it couldn’t tell the network guys which ports/protocols needed to be passed through the firewall. Strike 02.  So because this was a production outage and everyone was yelling and pointing fingers, the network admin set the firewall to allow all traffic on any port to get it working.  And since it was working, everyone stopped caring about it and the “work around” became permanent.  Strike 03, you’re out!)

Networks that are defined by rules are only going to be as good as those rules.

At least on the hardware side of things, it’s a bit more difficult to screw up.  In GE’s Aviation business, because they have DoD contracts, they actually have two, physical, separate networks in their facilities, one for employees and one for contractors.  Contractors are completely forbidden from connecting to the primary network.  They’re effectively airgapped.  In my previous example, it is literally impossible for a unwary network admin to change a firewall rule to allow access across networks, they are physically different. But not so in the case with SDNs.

Software defined networks are going to proliferate rapidly due to the low cost and it will be critical from a security architecture standpoint to ensure 1) Robust architecture and best practices are created as standards and 2) That those standards are enforced and periodically reevaluated.