Controversial Exhibit in Germany

jew in a box

About a year ago, an art exhibit in Berlin, Germany stirred up controversy in the Jewish community.  The exhibit featured a Jewish man and woman for about two hours a day in a large glass box.  The point of the exhibit was to teach more Germans about the history of the Jewish community, because most Germans born after WWII are not informed about Jews of the past.

The man and woman were there to answer any questions about the Jewish faith that viewers had for them.  What seemed like a good idea to promote teachings of the Jewish faith to some, had the opposite effect on many others.

Many Jewish people took offense to these actions, stating that they did not want to be viewed as an exhibit to the public for everyone to question.  They did not want their faith to be put on public display for the fear of public shaming or disrespect.

I can understand both perspectives on the issue, but I think there are better ways to learn about the Jewish culture and religion than putting live people on display for the public.  I agree that this can be seen as an action of disrespect toward Jewish culture.

What are your opinions on this issue?

Source

http://www.today.com/news/jew-box-exhibit-germany-stirs-controversy-1C9180547