Welcome to Folesadelphia

We define passion as a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire; but, in reality, passion defines us. Passions are what give our lives meaning. They allow us to be our true selves, reach for a goal, find success. With passion forming such a substantial impact on our lives, it often makes me wonder, what am I passionate about?

After a lot of time and thought, I realized I am a man of many passions, not just one. Having such a plethora of fascinations made it difficult to choose just one (on top of the fact that I knew I could not maintain a blog about most of them for ten weeks). I was forced to think about the near and far — the present and the past — of my life. It was when I really thought long and hard that it came to me; I am passionate about a place, and that place is the city of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia, PA

Growing up, I would always go to the city with my family. We would watch games, rain or shine, frigid or scorching. We would walk the musty streets, growing nose blind to the foul scents. Most importantly, we would eat the delicious, one-of-a-kind cheese steaks. For outsiders, it may not seem like much, but for me, that’s why I love the city. 

Each week I will dive into a certain feature of Philadelphia, whether it be a landmark, building, or person, and explain how each thing comes together to create the beautiful city Philadelphia is. This week, I want to briefly talk about a person that brought the city together, closer than it has ever been. He went from a standard athlete to one of the city’s most historic figures overnight. He is my favorite person to ever influence Philadelphia; he is Nick Foles.  

Nick began his career as a Philadelphia Eagle in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft. He played with the Eagles for two seasons before being traded to the St Louis Rams. Later, in 2017, Nick Foles returned to the Eagles, a gift sent from God. In week fourteen of the 2017 NFL season, Foles got the call. After as many lows and highs as seven weeks could bring, the eagles were in the Super Bowl under the wings of Nick. Then came history.

February 4, 2018: the day the Eagles became super bowl champs for the first time in history. Every Eagles fan knows where they were on the day that football touched the ground as time expired in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LII. I was in the living room of my house, huddled around the television with my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents — attendance was mandatory for everyone. On that day, Nick Foles won Super Bowl MVP, solidifying himself as a Philadelphia legend for eternity.

Super Bowl LII Champs

The championship brought about ongoing comradery throughout the entire city for the day, and then the month, and then the year. A little part of the city changed forever. Winning was a team effort, but the impact Foles had, the excitement and charisma he maintained, and the way he handled the situation he was brought into makes it feel like his super bowl. Now, Foles is in Jacksonville, but his legacy will always remain in Philadelphia.