Thoughts on Engagement

I don’t envy the helpdesk. The only time people contact them is when something is wrong. No one is ever like, “Shit everything is great, I should let helpdesk know”. They get only some relevant information, but know for sure that the person on the other end is usually frustrated, and maybe even a little pissed. Or a lot pissed. They have to decipher what the root cause of the issue is, usually without actually seeing what’s going on. If all goes well, there is a solution.

To me, what we do is a lot like helpdesk. We solve problems. There is a major difference, though. Usually, the folks we work with have an idea that something is potentially wrong, or that things can be better. They usually are not irate about it. But there is always a solution. In my experience, the only way to get to that solution is through conversation, physical presence, and patience. That’s how I would define engagement.

Conversation

I used to fucking hate when people talked to me about personal stuff. I figured that it was all irrelevant to what I was there for. I was here to help with a teaching issue, or maybe a technology problem. I didn’t care that their dog was sick. After coming to Penn State, I realized that this was because either a) these people, for whatever reason, are comfortable enough with me to talk to me like a human, or b) they are insane.

A) It’s a wonderful feeling to know that people you work with don’t think of you as a douchebag. I’ve gotten to the point of being pretty good at recognizing the insincere fucks from the good ones.

B) I attract crazy and I revel in it. I’m a little off myself. Crazy people sometimes have wonderful ideas – especially physics instructors.

All of these conversations help create relationships, and trust. Especially in times of crisis, and crisis means many things to many people, knowing someone is listening can be powerful. Especially when it has to do with something you are passionate about.

Physical Presence

It just doesn’t scale, is a weak argument from lazy people. Your boss is lazy, their boss is lazy. Don’t be lazy. Meeting people, especially in a space they are comfortable with helps tremendously with conversation. You also get to peek into their lives. Like 500 gallon saltwater aquariums in their office… Like pictures of their life outside of work, shit like that. It has, more than anything helped me realize the importance of being there. Making people come to you makes you look like a dick. Don’t be a dick. Take a walk – you need it – and go help people.

Patience

I am incredibly impatient. Except with my daughter. I have a real hard time with patience, especially when folks ask for help, and ignore most, if not all of what you’re saying. Most of the time, they come around. Sometimes it takes years. I usually just drop by if I’m close. Just to say hi. Sometimes they ask if we can schedule some time to talk about something they are curious about, sometimes they don’t. You can still say hi.

Sometimes, you have to sit by yourself in a room all day. Get up at 4 in the morning, drive for hours, and sit with nothing but your thoughts (and plenty of other work from rooms that you have sat in with LOTS of people). That’s ok. It takes time.

I think it all ties together, and its easy to tell if you aren’t genuine.

One thought on “Thoughts on Engagement