9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Sometimes, the most amazing, memorable things in life are the things that we initially think little of. Such is the case for my next film: Steve Carell and Kiera Knightley’s “Seeking a Friend for the End of the World”. The title itself suggests comedy, which yes, the film could be seen as on the surface. However, whatever preconceived notions I had about this movie completely escaped by the end. (Warning: Spoilers ahead, in some regard.)

Image result for seeking a friend for the end of the world

Keira Knightley and Steve Carell star in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

The film begins with the news that a catastrophic asteroid is set to hit Earth in a month, which will bring an ending to all mankind. Casting in this film is impeccable; Steve Carell plays Dodge, the insignificant 40 something whose wife just left him after hearing the news of their impending doom, living in apartment building with flirty, fun, and young Penny, played perfectly by Knightley.

Throughout the movie, I quickly realized that the shallow plot that initially presented itself was a facade. The movie was brilliant, with its dark humor cutting through heavy emotional story lines, and beautiful, thought out character development. It left me with a feeling of nostalgia: allow me to explain. Some films are able to establish a sense of setting and time in such a way that it feels as though you live through each and every minute, that you too are on that beach or in that car. The scene below is a prime example of this- the beauty of the day, the happiness and simplicity of the setting makes me yearn for a moment in time I never even experienced.

Another sure tell sign of whether a movie will be deemed a favorite by me is the soundtrack. The two art forms do not simply coexist in the cinematic world, but fail to thrive, to grow, without one another. In this cases, the music does not set the scene- it is the scene. The Hollies “The Air that I Breathe” creates a sense of longing, of farewell, with apocalyptic undertones that allude to both the physical end of the world and the symbolic end that comes with Dodge saying goodbye to Penny for what seems to be forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdMeIIZDdI

Finally, the moment that solidified this movie’s place on my list, in my heart, and probably the hearts of thousands more is the beautiful final scene: the end of the world. Something so large and astronomical and incomprehensible becomes something simple and breathtaking. This last scene stands as a testament to the power of human relationships, no matter one day or one year or one lifetime. What a beautiful way to die- with the one you love right by your side. Dodge’s final love declaration, the final words in the entire film: “Penny, I’m really glad I got to know you.” Concise, haunting, magnificent- just as is the film itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OuxZy153tM

3 Thoughts.

1. I’ve never seen this movie, but the way you write about it definitely makes me want to see it. I couldn’t have ever envisioned Steve Carell being casted for such a dramatic movie but it looks like it was a wise choice from the directors. I would’ve liked to read a bit more about how the character and plot development engaged you, specifically.