Brigette's Blog

2

Not So French, French Braid

The history of the French braid is not what one would expect, mainly because in no way is the braid traced back to the country of France. France can take credit for Coco Chanel and the Birkin bag, but it cannot take credit for the “French” braids. (France has a very rich history when it comes to fashion, which I think I may write about in a future blog)

So who wore the French braid first? The answer is unclear. Images from thousands and thousands of years ago depict Africans using a three strand technique to style their hair. Greeks are also credited with the early wear of the braid. Some Greeks even wrapped the braids around the front of their heads giving the illusion of a crown. Lastly, the Sung Dynasty is believed to have given root to the French braid, worn by women of the upper class.

It is even possible that these three groups if individuals began using this hair styling technique almost simultaneously, meaning it is impossible to give one group sole credit for its popularity today. However, one thing is certain, it did not originate from the French.

Now to the important part, how to do a French braid!

For the purpose of this “how to,” I am going to describe the steps to a classic single braid beginning from the top of the head. Keep in mind, you can use the same technique to create a ton of other styles! My personal two favorite takes on the French braid are the pigtails and the headband braid. (See pictures below)

1. Begin by grabbing a section of hair, starting at the front of each temple (It should look like you are about to do a half-up-half-down pony tail)
  2. Brush or comb out any bumps on the top of the hair (You can apply hairspray or gel to tame fly away hairs if you choose)
  3. While holding that section of hair, split it into three even sections
  4. Cross the left strand over the middle strand and hold the strands securely in their new designated spots
  5. Cross the right strand over the middle strand (originally the left strand) and hold
  6. While holding the strands with one hand, take another section of hair from the left side with your free hand and cross it over the middle along with the leftmost strand
  7. Repeat the same motion on the right side
  8. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until you have no more hair to grab
  9. Finish the tail of the braid normally, by crossing the right over the middle and the left over the middle successively.

french-braid

(makeuptutorials.com)

tbd-braid-link-out

(refinery29.com)

imgres

(Free People)

Brigette Cannata • September 22, 2016

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Irene Fishman September 22, 2016 - 1:29 pm

Did you know french fries aren’t really french either? They originated in Belgium!

2. hxj5142 September 22, 2016 - 1:49 pm

Nice fact, Irene!
    This was super interesting, even though I don’t have long hair!
    But hey, if I ever grow out my curls to have a fro, I guess I’ll need this techniques at some point.
    -Himavath