Brigette's Blog

An Open Dialogue on Microaggressions

I recently watched the Academy Award nominated documentary “13th.” It connects racial inequality to our justice system. I learned that one in three black men will be incarcerated at least one time in their life, whereas only one in seventeen white men will be incarcerated at least one time in their life. This is due to America’s shameful history of slavery, racism, oppression, and discrimination.

Our history is the reason racism has been embedded into our society. Racism still exists. It is present in all aspects of life, including the workplace and the United States school system. The only way to rid ourselves of racism is to create an open dialogue for all to participate in, in which all can discuss the various forms of racism they witnessed or experienced.

Racism is an uncomfortable topic to discuss. It is hard to admit that we are living in a society full of discrimination. It is probably even more difficult to admit to yourself that you have done or said racist things. However, the more the topic is discussed, the more people will become aware of the place racism has in society today.

The event “Microaggressions and Civic Life” was a perfect example of an effort to create an open dialogue about racism. I admired the bravery my peers expressed by speaking out about this unsettling topic. It was this bravery that led to such a productive discussion.

I would like to begin my reflection by addressing the moderator of the event. He offered a unique perspective, being the principal of a diverse Philadelphia school. I felt as if he was truly passionate about the issue at hand. It was apparent that he was impacted by each of his students, and his passion set the tone of the event and inspired others to speak out.

Next, I would like to reflect on the audience. As the room began to fill with students and faculty, I could not help but notice the composition of the audience. To be frank, I found it to be ironic that a group of mostly white individuals was there to have a discussion on microaggressions. I could not picture a dynamic or rewarding conversation taking place.

My doubts were quickly proven to be false. Each student who spoke out had thoughtful comments and stories to contribute. As a result, I was forced to consider the events of my life. I thought about my home, my school, and my community.

One thing stood out to me most while reflecting on my own experiences with microaggressions. My highschool.

Although I attended a public school in New York City, it was not racially diverse. Admission to my high school is based on a single standardized test. There are articles written every year about how the exam is unfair, and how it does not admit a diverse or culturally representative class. Here are two links to these articles:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/no_black_students_tapped_for_a.html

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/only_1_black_student_offered_a.html

I should also mention that the school is consistently ranked one of the top high schools in the nation. This is why so many students at my school have a, “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” attitude.

That is a microaggression, and it took me quite a long time to realize that. That mentality implies that the school will drop in the national rankings if more minorities are admitted. It implies that minorities are not able to meet the academic standards expected from students at Staten Island Technical High School. These wrongful assumptions are hurtful and unproductive for society.

The student body may perform well, but I do not think it is beneficial for anyone to deny the fact that the standardized exam may be flawed.

Brigette Cannata • April 26, 2017

Previous Post

Next Post