John F. Kennedy: Democratic National Convention Nomination Acceptance Address

I am considering writing my paper about John F. Kennedy’s Democratic National Convention Nomination Acceptance speech, often entitled “The New Frontier.” I know I want to analyze a speech because I can discuss both the written manuscript and the actual presentation of the speech. I can discuss the arguments Kennedy makes as well as the inflections in his voice during his delivery. I chose this particular speech because I had a conversation about it over the summer with my dad, who majored in U.S. History at Penn. I had only heard a short clip from the speech and was curious to find out more about it.

What initially struck me as I read the speech was Kennedy’s emphasis on his religion. He spoke often about how he didn’t want his Catholic faith to determine whether or not someone voted for him. He wanted the American population to know that he believed in complete separation of church and state. I expected him to stick to this theme, but he closed his acceptance address with a Bible verse. Kennedy says, “Recall with me the words of Isaiah that ‘They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary.’ As we face the coming great challenge, we too, shall wait upon the Lord and ask that He renew our strength.” The Bible quote itself is quite applicable to the challenge of the upcoming election, but it contradicts Kennedy’s claim of separation of church and state.

The audience for my analysis will most likely be students who have previously studied American history. They will be able to judge Kennedy’s speech in context, knowing the outcome of the election and whether Kennedy lived up to the promises he made.

I’m also considering writing about Kennedy’s Inaugural Address. This may be a better option than the Democratic Nomination Acceptance Address because there are more obvious appeals to ethos, logos, and pathos.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jfk1960dnc.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres56.html

This entry was posted in Work in Progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.