Religion

This is my first time ever attending a secular school. I was a Catholic school-er for thirteen years, and, before that, I attended a Protestant preschool. Hearing about Jesus on a daily basis was the norm. In grade school, we had morning prayer, grace before meals, and a prayer at the end of the day. We prepared to receive the sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation in class. In high school, Community Prayer was held every Wednesday, during which the entire student body gathered in one of the gyms for a prayer service. Students could become involved in Campus Ministry, the “Student Council” of the religious side of the school, so to speak. As a senior, I was the liturgical coordinator of the Campus Ministry. I helped organize the Masses as well as lector every Wednesday at Community Prayer.

Being at Penn State is obviously much different as the school is not associated with one set religion. People don’t discuss their religious beliefs as openly as I could in my previous years of schooling. It’s interesting being surrounded by people of an array of faiths rather than solely Catholic Christians. I’m sure if I chose to strike up a conversation about my Catholic faith, I’d learn some interesting things about how other people choose to live their lives under whatever faith, if any, they have chosen to follow. Although it is difficult to focus on my faith without the daily reminders in school, I’m still involved in my faith as a Penn State student. I recently joined the Catholic Campus Ministry as a lector at the 9:30 AM and the 9:00 PM Masses. College is definitely a step toward entering the “real world.” Making decisions about my faith is no longer influenced by my school; everything is up to me. It is my responsibility.

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.