Obama’s Victory Speech

I’m going to be honest. I did not want Obama to win the presidential election. I come from a very conservative family and, although I tried to make political decisions without their influence, it appears the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Obviously, I was pretty disappointed when I heard the election results (even though I personally couldn’t vote in the election because my county never sent me my absentee ballot).

For any 2 Chainz fans out there, I thought this was funny…

That being said, I was very impressed by Obama’s victory speech. Even though I wasn’t a supporter of his and still am not, I found myself being very persuaded by his speech. I have to give the president credit – he really knows his audience. He made the election sound like a team effort; he won “because of you.” We, as a nation, are going to work together and be involved in the betterment of the United States of America. We’re moving forward, as his campaign slogan reminded us. Obama made himself sound like a regular guy when he professed his love for his wife and his pride in his daughters. He even cracked a few jokes about how long the polling lines were and how “one dog is enough” for their family. The historical reference made at the beginning of the speech instilled national pride in his audience.

Overall, I thought the speech was very effective. It instilled a little bit of hope in a conservative college student. The incessant applause was a little over the top, however. It was nice at first but after about three minutes I was ready to hear a couple sentences without an interruption.

One last thing…was anyone else distracted by the woman to Obama’s right with the American flag sticking out of her hair? (Photo courtesy of On Air with Ryan Seacrest)

This entry was posted in RCL and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Obama’s Victory Speech

1. Kate Kielceski says:

I thought that was SO distracting! First of all, for some reason I thought that woman was Oprah when I saw her first. Once I realized, no, it was not in fact Oprah, I still found myself looking at “flag-lady” more than Obama. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed!

2. John Minbiole says:

Yep, I noticed the flag in the hair. For some reason, however, this did not seem strange to me. After being exposed to yet another kooky election season, my subconscious must have seen this and said, “meh.”