“This I Believe” Credo/ CI Blog Ideas

I believe in happily ever after.

I believe there is someone out there for everyone. I believe that, in a relationship where true love exists, your partner makes you a better person. Someone else’s happiness is suddenly more important than your own. If things go wrong, you don’t abandon the relationship entirely. In the words of a couple celebrating their sixty-fifth wedding anniversary, “…if something was broken, we would fix it, not throw it away.” To find a relationship like that, however, you have to make mistakes along the way. You learn that someone who you thought was perfect does not, in fact, have your best interests at heart. Through heartbreak, however, you learn more about yourself. People come into your life – and leave it – for a reason. As my roommate likes to say, “One step away from Mr. Wrong is one step closer to Mr. Right.”

Happily ever after goes deeper than just romantic relationships. It’s about self worth. It is the realization of your inner beauty, as cliché as it may sound (I think I received a few dozen American Girl magazine posters with that phrase written under pictures of puppies and turtles). It’s about being able to look in the mirror and be proud of who you’ve become. Everything happens for a reason, and your experiences have molded you into who you are today – whoever tries to change that is not a true friend. It’s about keeping strong morals and beliefs, no matter how many people judge you for it.

I have a few ideas for my Civic Issues blog. The first is Politics: U.S. Foreign Policy. I’d like to explore U.S. foreign policy with six countries I studied last year: China, Russia, the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Mexico, and Iran. Another idea is to write about women in the workplace because that topic will eventually affect me after I graduate from Penn State. My final idea is to discuss college athletics as part of the learning process since I already did a few presentations related to that topic and found it interesting.

This entry was posted in Work in Progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.