Comedy

“Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine.”
― George Gordon Byron

I’ve always been a fan of comedy, but it wasn’t until this weekend that I realized its positive effects. I had a very long weekend to say the least. I went on a retreat sponsored by the Catholic Campus Ministry this weekend hoping to both strengthen my relationship with God and make new friends. Unfortunately, the weekend didn’t go as planned. I was freezing, lonely, and intimidated by how devout everyone was. We had no technology so I rarely knew the time and I couldn’t contact anyone when I was lonely. I couldn’t have been happier when it was time to leave.

Things didn’t necessarily get better, however. I returned to a ton of homework. It was overwhelming. For whatever reason my professors decided it would be a great idea to load on the assignments and tests this week and the following week. I did homework for hours yesterday. By 10:00, my brain was fried.

That’s when I discovered the healing powers of comedy. I decided to watch the episode of Saturday Night Live that I had missed over the weekend. I immediately adopted a better mood. Adam Levine was a surprisingly hilarious host, Kendrick Lamar was a fantastic musical guest, and my obsession, Andy Samburg, returned for the episode. I found myself laughing out loud, which I rarely do when watching television. Laughing reduced my stress level significantly. I felt much better about my workload after forgetting about my problems for an hour and just immersing myself in comedic spoofs. Laughter truly is “cheap medicine,” a remedy we often take for granted. It’s important to appreciate its medicinal values and remember to laugh just a little every day.

(If you need a little comedic relief today, here’s Adam Levine’s opening monologue. The rest of the episode was hilarious as well so if you have an hour to spare, this is a great way to spend your time. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/adam-levine-monologue/n32021/)

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.