College Recruitment Process

All of us are aware that being a Division I athlete is an incredible honor, challenge, and time commitment. It is not a gift presented on a silver platter, but rather a goal that high school athletes strive for their entire athletic careers. These athletes are the stand-out stars of their sports at their respective high schools. They are members of multiple teams and have dedicated families who travel throughout the country so that they can compete at a high level. They know the value of dedication, commitment, hard work, and perseverance. They strive to be the best in what they do.

Playing for a high school team is a huge time commitment by itself, but elite high school athletes who plan to play for a college team also participate in regional club sports. Emily Fuss, a freshman goalie for Dickinson’s Division III field hockey team, when asked about her experience with club teams, discussed the time commitment of playing a club sport: “A lot of tournaments were out of state, including Virginia, Arizona, and Florida… I played all-year … for my club so when I finished with my high school field hockey team in the fall, I would go right into training with my club team for the winter, spring, and summer.” Matt Greskoff, freshman Division I baseball player for Villanova University, played for summer baseball travel teams whose tournaments, often attended by college recruitment scouts, were located throughout the East Coast. Colleen Hickey, a member of Villanova’s women’s volleyball team, traveled all over the country with an extremely competitive club team that played from the end of the high school season to the middle of July. If you want to get recruited, you have to play for high intensity teams whose tournaments act as showcases for scouts.

Being dedicated to a sport often influences what colleges high school athletes choose to consider. Sometimes playing a sport can be helpful in that it limits the number of schools an athlete chooses to apply to. However, being an athlete can also be detrimental if the schools that want you to play for their team do not meet your academic standards. Emily Fuss never considered a university that would not allow her to continue playing field hockey – she loved the sport too much to give it up after high school. Alex Stensland, freshman ice hockey player for Lake Forest College, felt the same way: “I looked at colleges that had at least a club hockey program for women because it’s something that I’m passionate about and really wanted to continue into college.” Alex Rainone, a member of Fordham University’s crew team, had difficulty finding a school that balanced both her academic preferences and her athletic preferences. Athletes like Colleen Hickey and Matt Greskoff choose schools that aren’t necessarily their top choice but are the ones that will provide them with the most playing time so they can continue playing the sport they love.

Surprisingly enough, academic performance is very important to most universities looking to recruit athletes for their programs. Division III schools like Dickinson do not give out athletic scholarships. They place heavy importance on academic excellence. As Emily said, “We are students before we are athletes, and our coaches follow that rule.” Many coaches believe that hard work in the classroom translates to hard work on the field. At Division I schools, academics are still extremely important, but coaches can influence the acceptance decision of a recruit to help them get into the university.

Sources: interviews with Emily Fuss, Matt Greskoff, Colleen Hickey, Alex Rainone, & Alex Stensland

This entry was posted in CI and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to College Recruitment Process

1. Arti says:

Recruitment and playing sports in college can create an interesting situation. I don’t know what my decision would have been like having to find a school that had a sports team I wanted to play on and a good academic program that fit my needs. I know some people that limited their choices to schools that offered a promising opportunity to play a sport. One of my friends also went to Bucknell because she got money to be on their track and field team, and I honestly don’t know if she would have gone their without that offer. It’s interesting that people base their decisions throughout high school and college around recruiting events and playing the sport they love.

2. Kelsey Wetzel says:

I agree that sometimes it can be detrimental. One of my close friends knew she wanted to play D1 water polo in college. Water polo is not a very popular sport, so she had severely limited choices. She chose Maryland and verbally committed, until a month or two later when she was told that their program was cut. So she had to find a new school where she could still play polo. The schools that fit both her academics and athletics ended up being narrowed down to 2. Basically, she only had 2 schools to decide between. One was Pacific University in California, and the other was Bucknell. She decided California was too far away, and ended up at Bucknell. Don’t get me wrong, she ABSOLUTELY LOVES it. So maybe we all end up where we’re supposed to. But, I wonder where she would have gone if polo had never been a factor.