Packages

I think I speak for everyone when I say that there’s nothing better than an email from eLiving informing you that there’s a package waiting for you in the commons. It is a “little thing in life” that’s really not that hard to take for granted because it’s SO EXCITING. Ok, maybe it’s just me, but I love packages. My birthday was the best time of the school year so far. My birthday is in December, so I got both birthday and Christmas cards and gifts in the mail on a regular basis. My sister’s homemade birthday card to me was covered in glitter and, as a result, so was my room. Did it matter? No, because I got it in the mail and I love mail. I even got a birthday cupcake delivery from – not kidding – my dog.

The packages died down for the second semester, aside from the box of items I forgot to pack and needed my parents to send to me. However, yesterday, I got the ever-so-exciting email telling me a package had arrived for me. It was the best news I’d gotten all day, especially after taking a ridiculously difficult math test that finished fifteen minutes prior to the reception of the email. I rushed to the commons and recognized my aunt’s handwriting on the envelope. I opened the package to find homemade chocolate covered pretzels (the kind with the M&M in the middle) and a Valentine’s Day card from my cousins. I was thrilled to say the least.

I think packages symbolize something greater than just a few gifts in a box. They are a tangible symbol of the love your family and friends have for you. They show that you cross the minds of your loved ones and that they want to express their love for you in a simple way. There’s nothing better than that.

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Packages

1. Phoebe Canagarajah says:

Being a townie, there is no need for my parents to send me packages. For them, it is a waste of money. However, I think packages are definitely a tangible sign of affection, and tells you that your relatives are thinking of you, even though you do not live with them anymore. I get super jealous when my roommate gets her cardboard box of happiness and free food every once in while. Actually, I think I may just be jealous she is getting free food.

2. mjg5598 says:

Aww I totally agree! ..So does every college student. I got a package yesterday as well. Even though I probably ate about 15 too many homemade chocolate chip cookies, it really does show how much our parents miss us as well! The packages always make my day.

3. MarkSRyan says:

Living pretty far away from home makes getting packages even more special. I wish it was easy to just go home for a weekend for me, but it isn’t. Getting a package from home reminds me of home and my family. The best is when my mom makes me cookies and overnights them to me. I completely agree with you and think that there really isn’t anything better for someone to do than send you a package to show they are thinking about you.