Books

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

It is difficult to argue that books are a “little thing in life,” as the theme of this passion blog goes, since we often feel like we’re being swallowed by them. Calculus textbooks strewn across desks, thousands of pages of chemistry accompanied by notes crammed in the margins, sheets of Spanish vocabulary barely bound together… when books are associated with hours, weeks, months of stressful nights of studying, they seem to adopt a not-so-great reputation.

But do you remember when books were fun? When you would beg your dad do read another page of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie before you went to bed, or when you would wait until your parents’ light was finally off so you could turn your own back on to read another chapter of one of the A Series of Unfortunate Events novels?

The great thing about books is that you can get lost in them. As you leaf through the pages, you leave your life behind you and take on someone else’s. Suddenly, you’re being pursued by Mr. Darcy, partying with Jay Gatsby, or discovering that the same pair of jeans magically fits you and your three best friends. It is invigorating to take on a new persona, to be braver, stronger, or more adventurous than you are in your daily life. We let our favorite characters inspire us to be the best versions of ourselves. We learn from their mistakes without having to make them ourselves. We learn that good never fails to conquer evil, no matter how long it takes.

So the next time you’re stressed, crack open your favorite book. Better yet, read your favorite childhood book… it’s amazing how many life lessons are tucked into the story. Reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has helped me forget all my problems for a few hours and has reminded me that a little bit of imagination can go a long way. Happy reading!

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Books

1. Michelle Bingert says:

I used to read a lot before late high school when I was drowning in all the text books and other material that I didn’t have a choice but to read. I really do think that if you open up the right book and start reading, that you can get lost in it. I hope that soon, maybe in the summer that I’ll find the time to read books that I like again.

2. Kerry Woods says:

As my brother transitioned from a boy to a meat and bread ravenous teenager, my family realized that his room needed a bit of remodeling to accompany his own physical changes. While clearing out Thomas the Tank Engine, Beanie Babies, and thousands of leggos from his closet I found dozens of books hidden away in every crevice of his closet. As I took each down I opened up each book to read a bit of it and remind myself of those years of eary bedtimes but late nights as you tricked your parents into reading to you for hours. Not only did the typed print jog my memory of such times but I also found personal notes in several of the books from my parents and grandparents to one of my siblings or myself. These notes either reminded us how much we are loved or explained why they wanted us to have this great read, for it would surely further our intellect and ensure high SAT scores in the future. I believe the books are not only places that you can submerge yourself in for moments that can last a lifetime, but also a welcoming home to the sharing of love and ideas across many generations.