Advocacy Project

I think for the advocacy project I’m going to stick with the same topic I used for my persuasive essay: abortion. I feel strongly about the topic, and I’ve done a decent amount of research on it. However, I don’t want it to be directly about abortion. Ending abortion is difficult to advocate for because it does not affect everyone personally. I want to advocate for a change of mindset. I believe that if women who become pregnant before getting married are respected and helped, there would be fewer abortions. Many women who become pregnant before they are ready abort the child because they are embarrassed or do not have the means by which they can support a child. Through my research, I learned that the majority of women who have abortions are young, either in college or just entering the work force. These women especially need support.

The purpose of this advocacy project is to change the common attitude about young pregnant women so that they know they are supported and are less likely to have an abortion. The long-term goal is to eliminate abortion entirely, but I recognize that the achievement of that goal is in the distant future. It is best to take it one step at a time. My audience is pretty much everyone because these girls need support from people of all ages.

I’m having trouble deciding which mode to choose. I think giving a speech or recording a podcast are what I would be best at, but I think a video would be more effective. I’m not so great at making videos, though. I saw this video that Jenna Marbles made and, if possible, I think doing something like this could be neat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCxzaHC30Ec. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

This entry was posted in Work in Progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.