Best Practices for Developing Enterprise Context

The Gartner article “EA Must Include Defining Your Enterprise Context” provides best practices for developing the enterprise context. This is something my organization has struggled to define. The best practices are as follows:

• Collaborate With Business and IT Leaders
  • Identify Trends and Business Strategy
  • Develop Anchor Models
  • Evolve the Enterprise Context
  • Document Enterprise Context Efforts

My organization approaches business strategy from a gut feeling or by word of mouth from various connections leadership makes. Very little is documentation is done to identify environment and technology trends. I attempted to document trends externally and internally to the organization however it turned into venting about needs to get fixed internally. As a result, I created a process in which individuals can submit new ideas and enhancements to various systems in the organization.

In order for my organization to grow and to be thinking about leveraging enterprise architecture, it needs to think more about the enterprise context. Market data, project, and customer feedback need to be used to identify trends and create business strategies. Over the next few months, at our monthly leadership meeting, I plan on introduce various methodologies to help identify our trends and come up with a better business strategy. Our company is in a fast pace industry where we need to gain knowledge quickly and be able to adapt to the industry.

Speak Your Mind

*