New Girl

Hello! Welcome back to my blog where each week I talk about a different TV show/movie I think carries an important and relevant message. This week, I’ve decided to cover the show New Girl. New Girl, starring Zooey Deschanel, is a sitcom that revolves around the main character Jess and her three guy roommates. The show is immensely popular and attracts more and more fans everyday on Netflix.

The reason I chose New Girl for my blog is because I think it embodies characters with personalities that are typically not seen in Mainstream television, and fosters a heartwarming message of finding family in one’s friends.

The focus of the show is on Jess, who is an extremely awkward and bubbly teacher. The show displays her (bumpy) navigation of the adult world throughout her social interactions, career, and love life. She is very relatable, and probably resonates with a lot of audience members. Her roommates are Schmit (a successful marketing employee who struggles with relationships), Winston (a formal aspiring professional athlete who now has no idea what to do with his life), and Nick (a bartender who does not know how to manage his money, or do a lot of adult things).

Often, I feel as though media makes people feel like they need to be rich, conventionally attractive, socially extroverted, and mistake free. With New Girl, each character is so relatable that while watching the show the audience feels comfortable, and in my mind, this is refreshing.

The show also displays what it is like to find family amongst one’s friends. This resonates with me especially since moving away to college, and finding a group of friends that I would consider my family. I think a lot of other young adults experience this, so to see this dynamic on television is enjoyable.

New Girl is a great show. I highly recommend watching–especially since an episode hasn’t gone by where I haven’t laughed.