Skiing Out West

sking

Ever since the first time I set foot in skis, it has always been a dream of mine to ski out West.  By “West,” I mean skiing anywhere in the Rocky Mountains.  Unfortunately, I have never been out of the state of Pennsylvania to ski, even though skiing is one of my favorite things in this life.  As a skier, there has always been a magical feel to the term “out West.”  The Rocky Mountains are famous around the world, and just the thought of standing at the top of one of those mountains and looking out over the vast extent of snow covered peaks gets me excited.  Not only would the view be breath taking, but the snow would be to die for.  Having the privilege to ski through snow so fresh and soft, as is characteristic of the West, would fulfill my aspirations.

When I came up with the idea for this blog, about three weeks ago, I knew that this would be the first experience I would post about, just because it has been a very constant dream of mine.  Or, should I say, was a constant dream of mine.  About a week ago, I was presented with the opportunity to ski in Colorado during spring break this year by a good friend.  The cost of the trip was a bit daunting to me at first, as I would have to pay for it on my own, so I was slow to respond at first.  After about a day of thinking things over, I knew I would never forgive myself if I didn’t go, so I ran to my phone and texted my friend, telling him I was all in.  Two days ago we booked out round trip flights to Denver.  Now my dream has become a reality, and between the dates of March 8th and 15th, I will be living my dream.

Reflecting on my hesitancy to accept my friend’s offer has made me realize how easy it is to dream, but how hard it can be to make those dreams happen. There’s no risk involved with dreaming, but when an opportunity comes along to fulfill those dreams, it’s scary, because most, if not all, of the time our dreams are going to be something that we’ve never done before.  Stepping out of our comfort zone in our safe, routined lives can be terrifying, but it’s entirely necessary if we want our dreams to actually happen.

Here’s some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfPzNS3Shg

This entry was posted in Before I Die. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Skiing Out West

1. Caitlyn Grotz says:

Evan, I love the fact that you are adventurous and want to continue your passion while at the same time trying something new. It’s awesome that you have one set goal and I know you will work hard in order to accomplish it. I have gone skiing with my family many times as a child and this post brought back so many memories for me. All I cna say is follow your dreams! 🙂

2. szc5416 says:

Evan! Like yourself, I too have an unbridled passion for the beauty of the American West. I’ve been to Arizona, Wyoming, Washington and every place in between. These vacations I took as a child were some of my fondest memories. The mountains out west are incomparable to the ones out here. Skiing on them would be an experience worth the while. One day I hope to make it back there as well!

3. aos5562 says:

Trust me, you definitely made the right decision!! The cost of the trip will be well worth it! I’ve skied out West three times now, and I can honestly say it’s some of the best skiing in the world! Although I’m sure you know 7 Springs gets great snow, it’s absolutely nothing compared to the kind of powder they get in Vail, ABasin, and other resorts out West. I can promise you it’ll be the time of your life!