RCL Post #3: Current News

lawnmower

Yesterday morning, October 9th, a man decided to mow the lawn of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.  According to the Huffington Post, the man’s name is Chris Cox, a South Carolina Resident.  Since the national parks are not maintained due to the government shutdown, Cox took it upon himself to tidy them up.  According to Cox, he wanted to make the monuments look presentable before veterans arrive this weekend for the Million Vet March.  The Million Vet March is a nationwide event protesting the government shutdown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/man-mows-lincoln-memorial_n_4072665.html#slide=1824817

In an interview with ABC news, Cox claims, “I’ve emptied hundreds of trash cans. I’ve cut up branches that have fallen during storms in these handicapped access roads.”  No one asked Cox to do what he did, but he did it anyway, and I have deep respect for him because of it.  Cox also said that,”I’ve had people walk by and hand me $2 here and $5 there and I say no I’m not homeless, I’m out here working.” Cox has so much integrity he will not even accept money for his services.  He is content with simply serving the nation and the veterans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shutdown-volunteer-told-stop-mowing-lincoln-memorial-lawn/story?id=20498555#4

Even though are government is shut down, Chris Cox displays admirable qualities of pride and patriotism for America.  Unfortunately, Cox was forced to leave by local police, but he remains a hero in our hearts.

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to RCL Post #3: Current News

1. Caitlyn Grotz says:

I heard that someone had done this but I had no idea of what his intentions were or that he was forced to leave. I’m glad you wrote about something cool like this! I would love to hear more information regarding this story… MURICA!

2. Christian Preski says:

Haha this is great, I wish I knew about this I would’ve joined him… Probably not, being realistic. But in spirit/heart I’d be there for him. The fact that he was forced to leave like Alec said is absolutely ridiculous. That man is one of a kind, and makes me happy to live in a country with people like that, with all the madness going on right now.

3. Alex Schilken says:

I read about this man yesterday, and I think it’s totally awesome what he’s doing. It takes a special type of person to go out of his way to clean up these national monuments simply out of the goodness of his heart. It’s really unfortunate that the police forced him to leave, especially since he was just trying to be a good, responsible citizen.

4. Julia Collins says:

This is actually a very commical post! I like this guy! It’s also very considerate of him to do that in honor of the Million Vet March.
    Cool post! Nice to know that!