See the Northern Lights

The northern lights, aurora borealis for all you scientists, are some of the most fascinating phenomena that our world as to offer.  Take a minute to appreciate this picture of them:

Northern Lights

Just think about what is really going on here.  Colorful light waves are dancing through the night sky right above your head.  Not only is nighttime in the wilderness one of the most spectacular and serene experiences a person could have, but accompany that with an amazing, natural light show, and you have yourself a truly magical experience.

The northern lights only occur within close proximity to the north pole, since they occur when charged particles from the sun slip through gaps in the earth’s magnetic field near the poles and react with gas particles in the atmosphere.  Because of this, places like northern Canada and Alaska would be the closest places we could see the northern lights.  Some people would say this is unfortunate, but I think it’s awesome!  I love Canada and I love taking trips, both of which would be necessary in order to see the northern lights.  So instead of it being a hassle for me to see the lights, it is actually a win-win-win (lights-Canada-trip) situation.

And just as I talked about last week, the journey makes the destination so much better.  Making the trek out to northern Canada with the single goal in mind of seeing the northern lights would be amazing, because once you finally saw the lights, it would be breath taking.  It’s giant and insane phenomena like the northern lights that, when experienced, make me realize how small I am compared to how crazy and huge the world and universe around me is.  If you have not experienced this feeling before, get on it, because it’s an amazingly liberating and peaceful feeling.

northernlights2

This is what I want to do.  This person knows what it’s all about, and they’re definitely experiencing that feeling I talked about earlier.

This entry was posted in Before I Die. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to See the Northern Lights

1. Pingback: lustra

2. Pingback: Childhood Magic, what was it? Can we have it again? I believe we can. | From the Inside out….

3. Julia Collins says:

Okay, second comment but I don’t care
    IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE THE NORTHERN LIGHTS!!!!!!
    I seriously have seen so many pictures and it has been my dream, the only problem is that I would not know how to go about getting there and seeing them..
    Really good pictures, makes me want to go even more than I already do!

4. Caitlyn Grotz says:

Evan, this is awesome! This is something that I have always wanted to do as well. I feel like we have a lot in common and I hope that I can find a partner (or partners) as adventurous as you to see the world with. The Northern lights have always held my interest, and I really want to be able to say one day that I saw them in real life, and not simply in pictures and videos. Again, great topic! Your blogs always fascinate me!